ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: RAM Usage Question

RAM Usage Question

Has anyone seen ArtRage use more then 2GB of RAM with one session? I monitor the program with Windows Task Manager. I can't seem to go beyond 1.9GB of RAM occupancy by AR... It is supposedly able to go to 4GB.
    I have 8GB installed, Win7 64bit and usually 4-5GB of free RAM. I can't get over 1.9 GB. The program shows "Not enough memory" after reaching 1.8-1.9GB that and I can't use any commands, including save. This happens on my laptop too (also 8GB RAM and win7 64bit).

Anyone?

We've done some research on this and are checking something at the moment. I'll update when we have some more information.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Okay, I have more information! Note before I start that this fix and the problem it addresses do not apply to the OS X build which could always address the full 32bit range.

We've made a change that was preventing the Windows build from addressing the full 32 bit memory range. This is why you didn't see usage going over 2Gb. The 4.0.3 release that we just did should allow you to work with the full range available on your version of Windows (just over 3Gb on Win32 systems, about 4Gb on Win64 systems).

This is a fairly major change so we will be on the lookout for any issues that arise but it appears to be solid and should fix the problem you were seeing. Note that if you do go over the memory limit you will still see odd behaviour as items fail to allocate correctly, but the limit should now be higher.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

This is AWESOME news! My work will be twice as detailed now.
    I will report any issues I encounter.
    Thank you so much!

Just tested it and can confirm it uses >2GB on my Win7/64bit system. Nice improvement.