ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage & Windows 8 tablet hardware

Question ArtRage & Windows 8 tablet hardware

Hi,

For a event we are searching for the ideal windows 8 tablet hardware & pressure pen to run Artrage.
    We need 6 tablets so I don't wanna make a mistake in buying the wrong hardware.

The tablets are preferable not to big because we need to walk around with them.
    Something like 11" widescreen.

Any recommendation would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

I want to know what the best stylus pen also to work with Window 8 on tablet too.

Artrage runs and has pressure sensitivity, using the native Windows 8 drivers. This means basically all the new Windows 8 tablets will run Artrage smoothly, as far as I know. If you want a lot of advice about which tablet you might like, how much you want to pay, how big of a screen you want, etc. you should head over to www.tabletpcreview.com . That website has a Recommendations thread where people post what type of device they want, and other forum members give their input.

Truthfully though, you could get almost anything. The real question will be all the details- do you want a silo for the pen so you can walk around and not lose the pen? Can you want to spend 1500$ each device? 1000$? 500$? How big are the canvases you are going to be making? How much battery life do you need? How heavy can it be? These are all the sorts of questions they ask you to fill out in the Recommendations thread there.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Any recommendation on different stylus pens to work well with Artrage on ipad ? Has anyone tried out Nomad brush on ipad with Artrage 4?

The real question is whether you want an active stylus with a sharp, pressure sensitive tip, or whether you want a capacative blunt stylus, such as the ones you might use on the iPad, which doesn't have pressure sensitivity.

If you get a Wacom penabled device, then bascially all penabled pens will work on your device with approximately equal functionality. All will be pressure sensitive within Artrage, at the very least. It's the hardware inside the tablet that determines how well the device works, not the pen. Those devices that offer more levels of pressure, etc. will do so, but it won't be because of the pen.

Having said that, IMO, pens with more than one side button are more useful. I also like pens with an eraser on the back. The Fujitsu Wacom penabled pens are cheap and do all of this. It's nice. Look for pens from the Fujitsu t5010, t900, t901, etc. if you like that idea. Ergonomically, I find the thicker Motion pens the nicest to hold. They have a single side button, and an eraser on the back as well. They run around 30$. They're nice. HOWEVER, they should all work exactly the same on the device you purchase if it's Wacom (and most of them are).

What you need to be careful of is that N-Trig and Wacom devices do not share technology. N-Trig pens will not work on Wacom penabled devices, and the same is true vice versa. Additionally, normal Wacom pens, such as the ones you might use on a Bamboo or Cintiq, will not work on tablet pc's, because the tech inside the device is different enough.

edit-
    Just saw you were asking about iPad pens. I'm not sure about those, as I've never used one. If you have a Windows 8 tablet though, the iPad pens will not offer pressure sensitivity, but will instead work like your finger does.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Hey Steve, helpful information. Thanx. I have looked up the few tablets you have mentioned and also some other stylus pens too. Have a better idea what I may get.