ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critiques Please! :)

Critiques Please! :)

Hey, I'm new to posting on here so just looking for nice, honest critiques Please be friendly, I do respect all opinions and advice on advancement! Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	girlskull.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	75140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fairy22.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	75139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiger2013.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	75141  

Welcome Jaimie! Your drawing skills are great and I like the way you use the airbrush. Good work. I like the tiger :-)

You are more likely to get helpful critical responses if you post under the "Critique" section of the gallery.

Cheers

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Welcome! It's so interesting how each artist does things a different way and yours is very clever. The tiger is terrific with lots of personality, the fairy is gorgeous and that skull kissing gal works really well also.

I don't see how I could be anything but friendly with that lovely faerie. Not a lot to complain about there. . . not on the first date anyway. Heh.

The tiger is g-g-g-g-grrrreeaaatTTTTTT!!!!!!! as Tony the Tiger would say. (Old breakfast cereal cartoon in the USA who always said that.)

As to the first one, I would call that where she's admonishing: "No Tongues!"

Okay, real stuff now. I think they're overall really very cool. They're imaginative and well realized. There's a lot of nice effects you're using, and the girls are pretty and the tiger is really pretty darn good.

There are always things we can do to improve pictures, or at the very least to change them. So since you asked, I will make only one comment that could help your work overall. You have a pretty good handle on detail and figures, and so forth. You know what you want to say and the elements are said well. The place I would be looking around in the world of paintings is composition. Your work right now is fine because it tells your story in each one. However, we can look at the faerie one (which I quite like by the way):

I would think in terms of leading the viewer's eye. It's a given I will look at her beautiful parts. She's a treat for the eyes. But the environment is sort of upstaging her. The background is working against her a little. Not bad but here's how - it's heavier than she is making it seem like there are two different artistic eyes showing us the scene. She the model of delicacy employing outline and subtlety, with very little texture per say. The background is heavy with big areas of dark and light and strong texture. None of this is bad. It's just like going out and wearing the wrong shoes with the right dress or something. The shoes are great with a different dress let's say.

There's a rule of thumb: the viewer's eye goes to the areas of most contrast. And you can make that work for you or have it pull the eye away from the star of your picture and you want everything in the picture to allow the attention to be given to the star. You can also use size, staging in addition to color and values to support that. Your figures are sensational. Let 'em shine. Think 'frame' and a little drama.

That said, you're really doing some great stuff. I would love to see more please!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Three great paintings and love that tiger

Different outcomes, but all fine! Welcome.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Welcome to the forums and these are all really good, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Welcome Jamie, these are really neat paintings, I think the tiger one is my favourite, you have given him a great expression.
    Geoff

welcome to the forum. So great drawing and painting style. Love your first painting a lot. Wish to see more and hope you keep enjoying the fun of Artrage

Welcome to the forums ,

Love all three , but my favourite is the first .