ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Opinions on this series

Opinions on this series

I've been subscribed to this youtube channel and they're starting a monthly web tv episode. This is the first one and I'm curious about what people who actually know something think of the content.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD3IXtILJ6E

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gms9810 View Post
    I've been subscribed to this youtube channel and they're starting a monthly web tv episode. This is the first one and I'm curious about what people who actually know something think of the content.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD3IXtILJ6E
    This sketch book lad is brilliant. A good starter. I think perhaps a lot of the value will come from individual artists and if they're worth listening to. Each will have a quality. This chap is very articulate and is a crackin' artist. And I would watch based on him. . . which is I suspect why they lead off with him.

Now, it's all a bit of a brief snippet from lots of artists. So if you want more info from one artist, it's perhaps not there in this broad stroke venue alone.

What it looks like you'll get is an overview of lots of artist's takes -- a sample taste of their personal art cake. It will expose you to a lot of things but not necessarily teach you how to do it. I imagine that over time you'll amass a lot of art wisdom.

So we know this show has great potential for someone starting out or who would like a brief chat with an artist or several to get their bearings. Sort of like an orientation event to get you to sign up for a class or something. It's a teaser of sorts. And I hope one that would help the aspiring artist to pick directions.

The one down side of it I would say is that it could teach you to be a dabbler, and not stick to something without getting pulled of to try something new because the image of doing it is so dazzling as presented in turn.

But that's my guess based on watching 5 minutes.

Good find! Watch it certainly.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Good find! Bright and informative, and agree with Mr Akey ... take out of it what you can, and the encouragement might make an aspiring artist take the first leap.

An interest video, thanks Gms, I have 2 videos of Davies acrylic panting instructions, never opened them but perhaps I should have a look at them

Bob Davies the presenter has very good step by step watercolour DVDs out Watercolour Secrets also loads on you tube http://www.youtube.com/user/BobDavies88

I'd like it better if it was about art rather than the artists. It doesn't cost anything so there is nothing lost and possibly something learned. I guess I'm still in the jumping around stage, trying to decide which I prefer.

sketchbook, yes!

The sketchbook part with Rob Dudley is very good! I have watched this fellas good art for some times now. I will follow this series for sure, I think it will be worth spending the time, but today I will take a walk along the shore and use my sketchbook! Sunshine and a mild breeze. Pity though thera are no Gormley statues on my shore...
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

I've never used a sketchbook but I'm going to start.