ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: had in gnl chat but here maybe better? file res. problem.

had in gnl chat but here maybe better? file res. problem.

file resolution...problem?

This is a weird one: I've been working on this painting a while, at 300 dpi. I opened it today, it shows at 72 dpi, 58.33" W, 43.75 H.
    If I try to resize it to 300dpi, to get back to the 14" W, 10.50" H with which I was working,
    the program crashes (although I got to do it on one try with AR 3, though I lost some data).

I have 4GB RAM and plenty of storage space, and running only AR at the time. (Windows 7)

Mostly worked on it using AR4, though I started it originally
    on 3, before I upgraded.

Any thought? help? suggestion?

I resumed work on the version I was able to change to 300 dpi and rebuilt the lost data. Otherwise,I think all the pixels are there since
    the 72 dpi version was relatively the same count as the 300. Right?

There's a bug in the DPI edit that we have fixed in our internal build (update is due to be released soon) that can cause the DPI setting to be lost when the resize panel is closed and I think that's why you see it revert to 72. The DPI value changing in this manner won't cause any quality loss as the actual pixel dimensions of the image aren't changed.

Changing the DPI value using the Resize panel works differently depending on whether you're in Screen or Print mode:

1. Screen Mode:

If you're in Screen Mode, changing the DPI value does nothing to the image, it just changes the target DPI for printing. This is because Screen Mode changes the Target Print Size to match the Pixel Size. For example, if you have 3000 x 3000 pixels and the DPI is listed at 72, changing it to 300 in Screen Mode won't change the pixel dimensions, it just means that when you print the image will be 10 inches square not 41.

It sounds like this is what you need to do if the pixel count is correct already, though you will need to do this in the 4.0.3 update we will be releasing when the DPI problem is resolved.

2. Print Mode:

Changing the DPI value in Print Mode causes the image to be resized because Print Mode changes the Pixel Size to match the Target Print Size. So if you have an image that is 720 x 720 at 72dpi the Print Mode dialog shows 10" x 10" x 72. Change the DPI to 300 and the Print mode dialog sets pixel width and height to 3000 because you are asking for a 10" x 10" image with 300 pixels per inch.

The crash is probably memory related, though it's hard to be sure. The problem with DPI value being lost will be resolved in the 4.0.3 update we should be releasing soon.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks Matt

I changed the file using the Print mode. It sounds as though I might have done better by Screen mode, but so far settings
    are staying put again and I hope to be done with this painting soon.

If it's ok to ask here:

I've found a very good printer, he asks for files in .TIFF, which means that once I merge all layers down, I have to process
    the file in Photoshop. Would it work better if he printed from AR? I've had files printed, but I am still foggy on truly understanding
    taking my paintings from computer to paper.

Thanks again.

Hi colorfrk,
    I often use the .TIFF format for printing and you can export directly from AR as a .TIFF image without ever needing to use Photoshop, nor do you need to merge all the layers down, if you do not wish to, before exporting from AR.
    In AR choose; File > 'Export Image File…' In the Save window that then opens, under Image Format select 'TIFF image' and then save to your desired location.
    Note; unless your printing company has a computer with AR installed on it they will not be able to use AR's native .ptg files.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi colorfrk,
    I often use the .TIFF format for printing and you can export directly from AR as a .TIFF image without ever needing to use Photoshop, nor do you need to merge all the layers down, if you do not wish to, before exporting from AR.
    In AR choose; File > 'Export Image File…' In the Save window that then opens, under Image Format select 'TIFF image' and then save to your desired location.
    Note; unless your printing company has a computer with AR installed on it they will not be able to use AR's native .ptg files.
    Sorry for late thank you. it's been a while for me. Best wishes.