ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Option to "lock" rotation of reference image to rotation of canvas?

Option to "lock" rotation of reference image to rotation of canvas?

I'm wondering if there's an option I've overlooked for "locking" or synchronizing the rotation of a reference image to that of my canvas? I love the reference image feature as I like to draw "realistic" portraits from ref images. I can zoom, pan, rotate the reference image and the canvas separately, but I most often want to "lock" the rotation of the reference image to the canvas. Is this possible?

Thanks!
    -Dan / ner

While references can be rotated individually, there isn't a way to lock their rotation to that of the image. Thank you for the feedback though, it's good to hear about things people would find useful!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Nuisance having to rotate reference images.

This may be related to the above post.
    Every time I load a reference image, it is rotated slightly from the vertical, so I have to manually square it up to the canvas. This is very time consuming and gets very annoying after a while.

I do not see any value in loading the reference images already rotated. If the idea is to simulate someone being sloppy when pinning a photograph to a wall, it is rather a waste of time and just an obstacle to ease of use.

Can you just bring in the reference photos squarely aligned?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    While references can be rotated individually, there isn't a way to lock their rotation to that of the image. Thank you for the feedback though, it's good to hear about things people would find useful!

Thanks for the feedback. Right click any reference image and choose 'reset to normal size and rotation' or choosing that option from the reference image's menu in the reference panel will square the image up without you needing to rotate manually.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I'm sorry if this is considered a thread necro, but I do agree with both of these posters. Finding a way to lock a reference image to the canvas would be extremely helpful, and it would be better if the references defaulted to squarely aligned. (Or at least make an option for it.)

Speaking of, is there a way we can get trace images to transform fully? They can be resized, but not rotated, which is very annoying.

When I am using a single ref image, I quite often import it to make a base layer then expand the canvas sideways to double the size, then work with it attached thus. That way it rotates with the canvas, can be traced onto a new layer if necessary, then the working lines moved sideways onto the blank side. Using multiple images can be included together on the left (or right).

When I'm done with it, I simply turn that layer off or crop it, leaving the final canvas. Works for me!