ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: new to art rage

new to art rage

Hello
    I am new to art rage I been using it for a few days, I comefrom Photoshop and have been painting with that program since the beginning. So far I am happy with art rage when it comesto painting in greyscale but in color I am having a hard time. The one tool that is making harder is theeraser, is there anyway that the eraser can be made smoother. On Photoshop you can use the airbrush as aneraser, is that possible on artrage?

Also
    how do I set it to control opacity with pen pressure

Hi there cev, welcome to the Art Rage Forum. To set your eraser, go into your settings see:

Attachment 74691

The blue arrow if for the depth of the eraser, and red arrow/softness is for the hardness/softness of the edge. I think the AR eraser is far better that PS, especially when the eraser is set to a fine line.

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    Hi there cev, welcome to the Art Rage Forum. To set your eraser, go into your settings see:

Attachment 74691

The blue arrow if for the depth of the eraser, and red arrow/softness is for the hardness/softness of the edge. I think the AR eraser is far better that PS, especially when the eraser is set to a fine line.
    On PhotoShop you can assign brushes to the eraser, can't beat that. Thanks though I found those settings and was hoping for a way to make it even smoother. I been playing with it and realized how each too reacts differently to pressure on the pen. That was what was throwing me off the most sine on PhotoShop they are always the same, but yea I am painting on a surface pro so I am committed to this software. I knew about the wintab issue but after playing with art rage I decided to buy it anyway since my cintiq was stolen and I didn't want to fork over more money on 5 year old tech that hasn't dropped in price. Taking some time getting used to it but so far I am happy, thanks for your help

I too would love to be able to assign special brushes to the eraser like PS. Maybe one day! There are ways you can do it with Multiply blend modes and painting with white, which I do use.

See link where I asked the same question this time last year. http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ghlight=eraser

Last edited by copespeak; 04-01-2013 at 03:53 PM.

I too would love to be able to assign special brushes to the eraser like PS. Maybe one day! There are ways you can do it with Multiply blend modes and painting with white, which I do use.

See link where I asked the same question this time last year.[/url]

I have tried doing this but cannot get it working, odd because the directions are laid out pretty simply. I have a painting I am working on and I make a new layer, set it to multiply and paint with white but nothing happens. I am could probably be stupidly missing something

The new layer has to have paint you want to erase?

The new layer has to have paint you want to erase?
    I Have no idea how I missed that, I didn't realize on the photo that the drawing was on multiply. When I shade I just paint on solid black and smoothly erase it with an airbrush.
    I start in black in white and when I add color I do the same thing with color.

Still learning the program, a bit tricky getting comfortable but so far I like it. On PhotoShop when painting people after I have a base color, I will add various colors in different overlay layers to create a skin tone. Here that doesn't work very well, still have to figure out some aspect of the program.

One pet peeve is when I open an image I was working on it moves my references all over the place. On studio pro 3 that didn't happen. I upgraded to art rage 4 and still messing with the setting, its fantastic that it doesn't need wintab for pressure sensitivity and works with the new api's.

EDIT** saving the file as a new document fixed the references issue
    Last edited by cev; 04-21-2013 at 03:26 AM.