ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How to increase Canvas size

How to increase Canvas size

How can I increase the canvas size and keep my painting size and tracing layer the same? When I used the instructions from the manual on how to resize the canvas the whole tracing image increased. All I need is two inches of white canvas area around my image.

Your tracing image resizes when you change the size of your canvas because that is the default size setting for the tracing image. If you have it set to Manual Scale, it doesn't resize. You find these setting in the Tracing Image Menu under "Tracing Image Scale".

If you image is stretched from it's original size it may change size when you go from fit to manual. Save your painting before trying this. You will have to scale it manually to it's original position.

Make sure you use the Crop/Expand Canvas command and not the "Resize Painting" command when you expand your Canvas size.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:
    Aunt Betsy's Celebration Art

The best way I know of, is a work around method. Here's what you do:

1. Save your current work.
    2. Create a new layer and be sure it's selected.
    3. Open the Tracing panel, click on the Menu tab, and select Convert Tracing Image to Paint to superimpose the tracing image (as you have it arranged) onto the layer you created.
    4. Go to Edit > Crop Expand Canvas, and increase your canvas size.
    5. Select the Menu tab of the superimposed tracing layer, select "Export Layer", and save it as a PNG (or whichever image file you'd like, I suppose, but PNG's are lossless file types).
    6. Import the Exported layer image as your new Tracing image.

Because the layer you export will include the border of your canvas size around the tracing image you were using, when it's brought in as a tracing it should match the canvas perfectly.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt_Betsy View Post
    Your tracing image resizes when you change the size of your canvas because that is the default size setting for the tracing image. If you have it set to Manual Scale, it doesn't resize. You find these setting in the Tracing Image Menu under "Tracing Image Scale".

If you image is stretched from it's original size it may change size when you go from fit to manual. Save your painting before trying this. You will have to scale it manually to it's original position.

Make sure you use the Crop/Expand Canvas command and not the "Resize Painting" command when you expand your Canvas size.
    Thanks for your information.

Thanks for your great info.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    The best way I know of, is a work around method. Here's what you do:

1. Save your current work.
    2. Create a new layer and be sure it's selected.
    3. Open the Tracing panel, click on the Menu tab, and select Convert Tracing Image to Paint to superimpose the tracing image (as you have it arranged) onto the layer you created.
    4. Go to Edit > Crop Expand Canvas, and increase your canvas size.
    5. Select the Menu tab of the superimposed tracing layer, select "Export Layer", and save it as a PNG (or whichever image file you'd like, I suppose, but PNG's are lossless file types).
    6. Import the Exported layer image as your new Tracing image.

Because the layer you export will include the border of your canvas size around the tracing image you were using, when it's brought in as a tracing it should match the canvas perfectly.
    Thank you, I do appreciate all the help from the experts.