ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Smaller increments for zooming with buttons?

Smaller increments for zooming with buttons?

I know you can zoom very smoothy by using Shift + "hover" dragging. However, much like I can currently Resize my tools very smoothly by pressing the [ ] or "arrow" keys (or use Shift + [] to resize at larger 10% increments) I would very much like to be able to do the same thing for zoom. Why is zoom strangely so clunky when using buttons? The increments are huge, unfortunately.

Is there a way to do this with buttons, the way I can already do it with Resize?
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

The mouse scroll provides very nice increments of zoom. Tablets (should) all have a scroll like strip or something, with the same function, or that can be programmed for that.

Hmmmm... What I just discovered (at least on my setup as it currently is) is that scrolling with the mouse wheel alone doesn't actually zoom-- it scrolls the painting up and down the screen. However, if I hit Ctrl + mouse wheel, it zooms quite nicely. Not every percent like Resizing does, but by much smaller increments than hitting Ctrl + +/-. Perhaps approx 10% increments.

Does anyone know why this is? Is there a way to get the buttons themselves to just do this? For now though, I'll try and find out if this alternate method does what I need it to do. Thanks!
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    Try out the free

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Hello,

Don't you notice that zooming with buttons give sickness? Is it only me? Personally, I always use the canvas positioner. I reduce it (with ctrl and the mouse): it is always there and not disturbing. It is why I prefer the ArtRage 3 canvas positioner to the ArtRage 4 canvas positioner. When it is reduced I have a tendency to click on the increments buttons I want to avoid absolutely. It would be great if we could select the canvas positioner we prefer, don't you think so?
    Windows 10 - Surface
    ArtRage 5
    Draw and paint with a simple corded mouse.
    My gallery: http://500px.com/cb6973

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Hmmmm... What I just discovered (at least on my setup as it currently is) is that scrolling with the mouse wheel alone doesn't actually zoom-- it scrolls the painting up and down the screen. However, if I hit Ctrl + mouse wheel, it zooms quite nicely. Not every percent like Resizing does, but by much smaller increments than hitting Ctrl + +/-. Perhaps approx 10% increments.

Does anyone know why this is? Is there a way to get the buttons themselves to just do this? For now though, I'll try and find out if this alternate method does what I need it to do. Thanks!
    Hi Steve,

You can choose between having the mouse wheel zoom in/out, or move your canvas up/down. It's in the Input Device Group on the Preferences panels (see image below).

Name:  mousewheel.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  64.8 KB

The Ctrl + - and Ctrl + = is probably a nod to how Photoshop always handled zooming. From what I can tell, there is no way to change the increments it will jump. You might want to try the Canvas Positioner. The zooming it allows is very smooth, by clicking and dragging over the top magnify glass icon. (Edit - I see Claudine beat me to this suggestion while I was getting my screen shots, but I'll leave this here to point out the dragging method the positioner allows).

Name:  cposition.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  12.2 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Sos,
    That info on the Input Device is very helpful to see. That may be just the ticket.

Of course, normally, I'm using Shift + hover-drag to Zoom, which is what I do if I'm using a keyboard and is how the Pen-Only Toolbar works its zoom function. We're exploring other methods of interaction with the Auto Hotkey buttons, and so I was looking at different ways to zoom that were less "spatial" (as in, needing to move the pen around). This stuff with the Mouse Wheel, now that I see how it works, is probably just what I was looking for.

Thanks! I never would have found this out on my own guys!

OT, but related--
    BTW, I am also currently looking for a similar way to Resize smoothly by button-presses, but which keeps the dynamically expanding/shrinking tool "circle" on screen for visual reference. Right now, if I press Shift + drag, I can Resize fluidly and see how big the tool will be, thanks to the "circle". However, if I press buttons to Resize (like the [] keys or "arrow" keys) the circle goes away. Resizing is still fluid, which is nice, but I want to see the Tool-size-circle for contextual reference, the way I do when I use the Shift + Drag method. Is there a way to achieve this with buttons?
    Try out the free