ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring through gauze curtains

Spring through gauze curtains

Inspired by a line from my favorite Chinese woman poet, Li Qingzhao (early 12th c.), a poem-song called "Little Mountains" ... In Li Qingzhao's time, Spring was a season of longing for loved ones to return from the north, where they have been sent to defend China against invading barbarians ...

"Pale moonlight through silvery curtains"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

So subtle and lovely. Your title says it all.

Hi there Pete, and yes the title does say it all, really like it a lot

Wow, Pete, beautiful.

hi copespeak, thanks as always for your great comments ... and pat, I think you've returned, like spring, good to hear from you again ... and hi lima, I always appreciate your thoughts ...

You know, this painting also is a test of the Overlay mode ... I'm discovering this is a very subtle way to blend but also very difficult to control ... Results often are totally unpredictable, well, not really, but they are hard to gauge in advance, especially when different modes are blended ... For example, here there is a toned base, then a Multiply layer, then an Overlay layer, and so on for five or six layers ... And when opacities are set differently at each layer, the precise colors after "merge" also are hard to predict ... I was thinking of Overlay as a kind of hyped-up glazing mode ... In a way it's fun, but can be a little frustrating if you are looking for perfect control ...
    Artrage Gallery

Subtle, elegant, contemplative, tranquil - a beauty of a "being with one's thoughts".
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Very beautiful Pete. Somehow it gives me an impression of those traditional artistic made art rice paper with different textures in it. I really love those color palette you use. Good on drawing or writing asian arts

... thanks for the comments ... byron, there is a synthesis, a kind of merging of identities, which I find more restful than analysis ... pai, I often use Xuan paper as a ground, not always successfully ... alexandra, "the best composer for painters is light" .... Emerson (quoting from memory, his essay on Nature) ...
    Artrage Gallery

Very good concept. I have to say though that the image (for me) is a bit too vague. It hasn't much of a focal point. Of course maybe that is the point.
    I do love the subtle colors and atmosphere.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes