ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: back to Studio Pro - AR4 needs fixes

back to Studio Pro - AR4 needs fixes

Needs fixing:

1- AR4 does not draw straight lines like pro. Drawing on my Cintiq 21 UX AR4 introduces wiggles into the line. Pro does not. This is using the oil brush.

2- AR4 allows references to be moved to second monitor. Nice. However, setting the rotation back to default introduces incorrect proportions to the reference image. This needs to be fixed or better yet quite importing references at odd angles so that their rotation needs to be corrected. Also, I'm not excited about the white bar that shows up under the reference. This makes it really hard to select the reference and scale or rotate as every time the cursor moves close to the bar area the bar pops out. Lastly, I've asked for this before and will ask again. Please either remove the pin graphic or allow the users to turn it off. It gets in the way and serves no useful purpose.

Ongoing problems that I'd like to see addressed:

1- The blending feature of the oil brush is the only reason I use this program (and the references). Can you please add a little more functionality to this brush? When it's in blending mode and the paint it's painting into has been blended before the color in the new stroke runs out almost immediately and then it just becomes a blender brush, not a painting brush adding color. I usually have to switch to opaque mode to get color where I need it (or lay in a ton of small strokes to build up color) and then blend again but this does not function even closely to what the brush could be if it could hold it's color for a much longer period of time while laying down a stroke in the blending mode. Please allow the user to set controls on how long the brush holds paint till it becomes a transparent blender brush.

2- Real color blending is not real color blending. Adding complimentary colors in real paint produced neutrals. Complimentary colors in "real color blending" produces odd color combinations that are not real. Is this fixable? As I can live without this feature working correctly as it's a ways down on my list of wants. I'd much rather see the oil brush work better and draw straight lines and references working correctly.
    Last edited by sra-art; 03-20-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Regarding item 1 - This may relate to drivers and input settings. Check that Realtime Stylus and Precise Tablet mode are turned on in AR4 and if that doesn't help get in touch with us at support@artrage.com and we can look in to what's going on on your system.

Regarding item 2 - The option is to 'set default size and rotation', this resets the rotation and sets a default imported reference size. References aren't necessarily displayed at 1:1, they're intended as references rather than exact pixel perfect images.

Regarding blending - What do you mean by 'blender mode' in the oil brush? Did you set Loading to 0%? The amount of paint on the canvas defines how much can be blended, we track the spread of that volume so if it's running out it's likely that there wasn't enough paint to blend further. Loading allows you to control how much paint is on the brush - The oil brush never 'becomes' a transparent blender as such, the only difference is whether the brush head is introducing more paint to the surface or has run out and is working only with the paint that is already there.

Real colour blending has been discussed in a number of threads and as we've noted there it's almost impossible to get every single blend exact so we have opted for the model that seems to suit most users. We are considering allowing manual tweaking of this in the future so if there is a specific blend relationship that you are not happy with you could tweak it manually towards the result you want.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Item 1 - Precise tablet seemed to have fixed my problem. That was unchecked.

Item 2 - I played with default size and rotation after you suggested checking it. Moving the rotation slider to the right and back to the 0 position and closing the panel reset all the reference rotations to 0 which is great. However, saving, closing and reopening the file the references were back to their previous rotated state. I also played with the scale slider and it remembered that upon closing and opening. Could you tweek the rotation setting to remember the users preference? Also, if we could remove the pins that would be great.

Item 3 - What I mean by "blender mode" is that when the oil brush is continuing the stroke but no longer depositing color in the stroke but moving underlying color around. This is similar to any blending brush in Photoshop, Painter, etc. Setting loading to 0% introduces no color into the stroke. Yes, I've played with all the settings. I guess what I'm asking for is to take "loading" past 100%. I'd like to load up to say 300 or 400% but still have the option to turn it down to 0%. I always paint with it set to 100% so I guess in the paradigm of this program there is so much paint on the canvas that new paint coming in is overwhelmed by the paint that is already there. At 200-400% I'm guessing the incoming paint would overwhelm the paint there and leave longer color strokes.

Item 4 - That would be great to allow users to manually set blending interactions.

Reference rotation is a special case that's applied on a per reference basis and now I think about it, it is probably not persistently affected by the rotation slider for panels. We have mulled some reference changes in the past though and I'll add those notes to our list of stuff to look at for it - I think there are some options that make sense for reference import that we can look at adding in the future.

One thing you might find helps with blending is to look at Thinners. Loading defines how much paint is on the brush head (100% being a special case that provides infinite paint), which doesn't technically define how much paint is on the canvas when the brush is used because the speed at which that paint is deposited depends on Thinners and various other factors. Setting Thinners to 0% gives you the highest density of paint on the canvas when you apply paint with a loaded brush, that and the paint tube are the best way currently to generate long smears as those methods produce the largest amount of pigment per pixel as it were. We'll look at options as we revise the system however, because there may be other things we can do to change the behaviour.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I always have thinners set to 0.

Any enhancements that you do the oil brush and references will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Matt