Thread: Drawing with a graphic tablets. How is it done?

Gallery
    View images

Drawing with a graphic tablets. How is it done?

I've just got my baby girl a Graphire4 Classic XL graphic tablet. Well, I got it, installed the latest drivers from the wacom.com. But then...
    I tried drawing :| Now, people, how exactly is it supposed to be done? I mean, there is no picture on the tablet of course or any traces of where a was a second ago (let's say I was drawing an eye a second ago, now im drawing the other one, how do I know where exactly did I draw the first eye?). So do I just watch the screen and draw without looking at the tablet? Or do I try looking a both? Or only at the table?

I'm a bit confused. Anyone could briefly explain how is it supposed to be done? I am especially interested in experiences of professional designers/ drawers

Thank you in advance,
    Diam0nd.
    ArtRage v3.0.4 Studio
    Wacom Graphire4 Classic XL (White Edition)

Gallery
    View images
    Hahah. Takes some getting used to, but you get to where you don't need to look down. I don't know how or why.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by D Akey
    Hahah. Takes some getting used to, but you get to where you don't need to look down. I don't know how or why.
    Aha, so the ultimate goal/position is looking at the screen and not the tablet or both of them, right?

Thanks for your answer btw!
    ArtRage v3.0.4 Studio
    Wacom Graphire4 Classic XL (White Edition)

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Diam0nd - Hope you don't mind me butting in, but yeh, you've got to watch the screen. There is nothing to see on the tablet, unless you place a drawing or picture on it and trace the lines. This is a possible way to get used to the tablet. What you need to watch on yhe screen is the cursor. It will appear when your pen gets near the tablet surface. If your brush (or pen,etc) is set small the cursor may be hard to find. Keep moving the pen around (without touching the surface yet) until you get the cursor where you want it, then touch the stylus to the tablet drawing surface. You will get used to it quickly. Good luck!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    It takes a few hours of weirdness but yeah, looking solely at the screen to see where the input from the tablet is happening is the only way you can use a tablet effectively.
    DaveyJJ --> artspin.com | widgetmonkeys.com | 729design.com
    "Inside each one of us is an artist ... a child who has never lost the gift of looking at life with curiousity and wonder." Arthur Lismer