ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Brush - Long thick dry stroke

Oil Brush - Long thick dry stroke

How do I achieve a loong thick dry brush effect stroke? I experimented with all kind of settings such as Insta-Dry, Pressure, Loading, but dry stroke is always too short. In real oil-painting you can achieve this very easily, check this out:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dieb.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	336.6 KB 
ID:	74236

Hi Sanchez, I don't think we're quite there yet with the kind of broken and returning brush strokes. However I have just experimented and done an update to my Oil Brush Presets adding a preset called "Everlasting Drybrush" You may find it useful.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Fashmir: Thanks but I have a problem with installing your package file. I have 3.5 version. Error message is this:

Success!
    The file selected does not appear to be of the format or is damaged. Please select a different file.

What is wrong?

Fashmir,
    Left a message in your other thread, but I did not find the Everlasting Dry Brush when I downloaded the new version of the pack.

Sanchez,
    The real issue is that you're looking for Artrage to somehow bind the Loading of the paintbrush to the Pressure applied. This is also something I want for the Watercolor tool. This would allow you to alter your stroke from a dry, bristly stroke to "wet" stroke, or vice versa, "in process", as you make the stroke-- much as you would do in real life. It's absolutely achievable, IMO, but unfortunately not something Artrage has decided to implement yet.

I would suggest going to the Suggestions thread and putting this idea in that official space. I've done so in the past for the Watercolor tool, but the more voices that suggest this idea, the more likely they'll be to implement it.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

A bit rough, but I had a quick crack at trying to emulate your strokes.I'm sure you could achieve with practice.

Attachment 74245

Very rough canvas, Pencil, Dry Oil Brush. Have a go!

copespeak: Hm, that looks very fake-ish, you can see the pencil strokes all over the place (not good). And that one dripping paintdrop over there is quite funny. But anyway thanks for suggestion.
    Last edited by sanchez; 03-19-2013 at 10:46 AM.

It was very quick (5 minutes), but I thought it might give you something to work on. A lot of those pencil strokes could have been erased back, but I couldn't be bothered.

Sorry.
    Last edited by copespeak; 03-19-2013 at 11:47 AM.

No I'm sorry I mean thanks for you time to experiment with this. But the problem is that the kind of stroke I want to achieve (=same as the first picture) is kind of "one-quick-blast-hand-motion-stroke" if you catch my drift. Yours looks similar on first sight but its really a constructed-like, you know, it seems obvious that you didn't just draw it with one motion step, it's so static. And I need the opposite - dynamic stroke, the one hand motion. I'm a little demanding I guess, it's beacuse I have traditional painting background, so excuse me and no offence my friend

I'm still curious why I can't open Fashmir's .arpack file. Is it because his version of ArtRage is 4 and mine is 3.5? What do you think guys?

No offence. I was miffed for a moment, but I'm well over it now.

I also have traditional painting background as well. I understand what you are saying, but I am a firm believer that if you hone your skills, and get to know this medium, you will get to slop, scrape and dribble, and achieve more casual strokes.

Art Rage provides a medium to be hugely inventive, you've just got to put the hours in and have fun while you're at it.