ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Traditional to Digital in ArtRage 4

Question From Traditional to Digital in ArtRage 4

New to ArtRage4, I need some starters. Iíve got a lot of original pencil drawings Iíd like to make into digital paintings. Hereís an example of a drawing:

Name:  after_the_shower_l.png
Views: 1454
Size:  256.5 KB

This one I had used as reference for a painting here:

Name:  after_the_shower_oils_l.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  445.5 KB

And another example:

The drawing:

Name:  girl_toy_alligator_l.png
Views: 987
Size:  296.6 KB

The painting:

Name:  girl_alligator_oils_ik.jpg
Views: 3378
Size:  370.0 KB

Question is how to do a similar thing in ArtRage?

So far Iíve used only the pen tool to outline, but this will take forever. I know how to do skin tones etc. with real traditional oils or watercolor, but these tools in ArtRage are way too large for the technique I use traditionally. They cover too much. I use a glazing/scumbling technique in oils. In watercolor itís drybrush. How to achieve such techniques in ArtRage?

Appreciate any tips to get me stated. The more detailed the answers the better.

Thanks.

Welcome to the ArtRage forum Hank! Your artwork is stunning.

If the tools in ArtRage are too big for what you need, you can always increase the size or the dpi of the drawing or painting. Tools that are large at 72 dpi are small at 300 dpi. You can resize the drawing from the Edit menu. Make sure you increase the number of pixels. If you increase the dpi without changing the number of pixels, it will just make the print size smaller. Your largest side should be somewhere about 3000 pixels or more.
    Last edited by Aunt_Betsy; 03-18-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:
    Aunt Betsy's Celebration Art

There are some fabulous artists on the forum that do really high quality portraits in oil painting style. It's just difficult to flush them out when you need them. It's not hard to glaze/scumble and you will find by experimenting with all the different tools, layers, blenders, opacity and more you can achieve some remarkable results.

'Oil Painting' in AR can be achieved with tools that don't have the 'oil' label on them.

Maybe give a close up in natural media of an effect you want, and see what the forum comes up with.

Your work is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    There are some fabulous artists on the forum that do really high quality portraits in oil painting style. It's just difficult to flush them out when you need them. It's not hard to glaze/scumble and you will find by experimenting with all the different tools, layers, blenders, opacity and more you can achieve some remarkable results.

'Oil Painting' in AR can be achieved with tools that don't have the 'oil' label on them.

Maybe give a close up in natural media of an effect you want, and see what the forum comes up with.

Your work is beautiful.
    Thank you, Robyn. I'm sure I'm not making myself very clear, but your advise is good. So here goes:

This is an old oil painting (1985).

Name:  still_life_with_skull_ar.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  320.7 KB

Iíve got a drawing with a skull Iíd like to do in ArtRage in a similar style. Hereís the drawing.

Name:  nine_to_one_ar.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  204.0 KB

Iíd color the cat also, but first things first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	still_life_with_skull_closup_ar.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	74231

As you can see in the closeup of the skull in the painting, I know in traditional oil painting how to do it. But I'm afraid this closeup cannot show the many layers of glazes and scumbles this painting required. It is not alla prima, so you cannot see the countless brush strokes and colors below the finished paint layers.

So, how to do a similar thing in ArtRage?

I am directing you to an oil style painting I did recently, where the style is quite traditional, though maybe not as refined as yours.

For fun, I will have a crack at your skull after breakfast, see what results I can get and relate how I achieved them.

I will note that no-one has taught me, just countless hours of practice and experimenting, as have most artists on this forum, and there are many that achieve a high level of refinement.

It can be done!

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...highlight=dova
    Last edited by copespeak; 03-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.

OK, here goes with my effort...

Canvas settings. In retrospect i would have used a bigger grain to get closer to yours.

I block in all areas with the ink pen, or whatever to give you a solid colour.

Attachment 74252

Blend lightly with watercolour blender pressure turned down so you have control.

Attachment 74253

I glazed over areas with Oil brush ... thinners up, pressure and loading down, etc. Blend again.

Attachment 74254

I actually found the pencil tool/hard shader to be really useful to get those light glazes.

Use lots of layers. As soon as it gets a bit dirty, start on a fresh layer, work on it, then drop it down and blend again.

Attachment 74255

Also try pastel as it goes on thicker than the pencil so gives a juicier line. Also I used a short dry oil brush to get some chunks of paint in there.

Attachment 74256.

It's not my work to finish, and it's a bit rough, but you might get some ideas from this.

I hope it helps, and we'll look forward to seeing your work posted in the forum soon because you're very talented!

OK, here goes with my effort...
    Thank you very much, Robyn. It's astonishing what you've done here so quickly!

Canvas settings. In retrospect i would have used a bigger grain to get closer to yours.

I block in all areas with the ink pen, or whatever to give you a solid colour.

Blocking in is where I'm going at it backwards. I'm trying to preserve every line (in the skull with the cat). I've found some comfort in working in Photoshop on that. In fact I've cut out that skull so I have it alone to work with. I've four very thin transparent layers of yellows, greens and red that still allow every line in the drawing to show through. Will open it in ArtRage and see what I can do.

Attachment 74252

Blend lightly with watercolour blender pressure turned down so you have control.

Blender pressure turned down. This is so specific a tip that it'll be something I want to explore in depth. As in traditional work, for me I have all the control in the world from underpainting through all the layers up to the finish. I figure if it takes me two months of tedious work in creating a painting on canvas in oils, working in ArtRage is either going to be quicker or (probably, since I'm just starting) just as long.

Attachment 74253

I glazed over areas with Oil brush ... thinners up, pressure and loading down, etc. Blend again.

Now this is looking right, the way of my traditional style.

Attachment 74254

I actually found the pencil tool/hard shader to be really useful to get those light glazes.

Hard shader. This is something I'll have to locate. Unless it's one of the options in the pencil tool. This would amount, in traditional technique, to a scumble.

Use lots of layers. As soon as it gets a bit dirty, start on a fresh layer, work on it, then drop it down and blend again.

Drop a layer down? You mean to take the last working layer and drop it below the last layer--or all the way down to become the first layer?

Attachment 74255

Also try pastel as it goes on thicker than the pencil so gives a juicier line. Also I used a short dry oil brush to get some chunks of paint in there.

Attachment 74256.

It's not my work to finish, and it's a bit rough, but you might get some ideas from this.

Looks like you've used a "color picker" to find the colors in the original to work with in your demonstration. Will have to find that too.

I hope it helps, and we'll look forward to seeing your work posted in the forum soon because you're very talented!

Yes, seeing your work in detailed steps helps a lot. We'll see if I can get something done now. Thank you very much!

"I've four very thin transparent layers of yellows, greens and red that still allow every line in the drawing to show through. Will open it in ArtRage and see what I can do."
    If you have a top layer with your outline drawn there, you can work on a layer underneath and still have your lines. Then turn them off once you've got enough information.

"Blender pressure turned down. This is so specific a tip that it'll be something I want to explore in depth. "
    See these two settings. The blue arrow shows the pressure setting. Adjust to suit. You can make your own presets using the settings I have and name them what you like. Just copy the settings below and click 'New Preset'.

Attachment 74259

Attachment 74260

"Hard shader. This is something I'll have to locate. Unless it's one of the options in the pencil tool."
    It is in the Pencils. See:

Attachment 74258

The hard shader comes with a tilt angle (which you'll see in its settings), so goes only sideways, not up and down so well. Rotate your canvas to get the same effect going the other way.

"Drop a layer down?" I just mean merge with the next. I make new layers all the time, then merge to blend. Pastel, oil and watercolour will all mix shades on your canvas and sometimes you don't want that.

"Looks like you've used a "color picker" to find the colors in the original to work with in your demonstration. Will have to find that too."
    The colour picker works as in Photoshop. Alt click on your chosen colour and it's selected. Of course, with AR oils on canvas you have a lot of variations in colour close together, so you might have to mess around pulling the right one out of your mix. Once you've got it, go down to your sample pod (bottom right) and click 'add sample' so you can go back to it.

It's been fun and great to help. Enjoy, and ask questions and I, or someone else will be happy to help.

I couldn't help myself, I had to finish it!

Attachment 74263

It's been fun and great to help. Enjoy, and ask questions and I, or someone else will be happy to help.
    Again, thank you very much, Robyn. These specifics are quite enough to go on. Thanks again for taking my questions seriously and answering them to my great satisfaction.