Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aunt_Betsy Stickers for byroncallas

Betsy, I had started one with your lace and lanyards last week I hadn't finished, and touched it up now with your new stickers posted here. So pretty much everything including the kitchen sink is thrown in for fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0306 Aunt_Betsy Unchained-ARUP.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	476.0 KB 
ID:	74160  
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    LOL. Thanks Robyn. And hey, you're not supposed to give away all the tricks.
    Actually that's 50% of the trick. There is another step that makes it easier and at the same time gives you the receding shadows as one thread goes under the other. Without the other step it would take an awful lot of careful erasing with a darn steady hand.
    Love the weave Byron, the other one look like a sticker Rorschach test.

My guess for the weave is that you duplicated at lease one layer if not two. You have all horizontal lines on one layer and the vertical on the other. You duplicate at least one and have it above and below the other then erase as needed. I do this all the time when I make entwined hearts. I even do it in vectors by using the intersect tool.

Name:	double hearts.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	74194  
    Last edited by Aunt_Betsy; 03-18-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:
    Aunt Betsy's Celebration Art

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    Aunt Betsy, thank you for sharing your beautiful stickers. I've had a great time playing with them.

Re; the cake.... I had a quick play to shadow one and came up with this. The new gradient tool makes it very easy. A bit basic.

Attachment 74130

This great Robyn!
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:

So here is my image to show that I can do the weave too.

Name:	sticker weave3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	74197  
    Last edited by Aunt_Betsy; 03-18-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:

You're a genius AB.
    Yes, that's the normal approach, works like a charm. With complicated weaves, if you go this route, you may need more layers. Planning is then your friend.
    I'm sure other people have oodles of other tricks to get similar or better results. Maybe they will tell us (?).

Your background pattern for the entwined hearts is beautiful.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-18-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    //

One more trick to the puzzle, once you have the middle layer sandwiched in between the top and bottom, select layer content from the middle layer and then go to the top layer and erase as needed and only the parts that cross the middle layer will erase. The shadow remains untouched for the part not crossing the middle layer.

Name:	sticker weave4.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	384.6 KB 
ID:	74199  
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:

You're a genius AB.
    Yes, that's the normal approach, works like a charm. With complicated weaves, if you go this route, you may need more layers. Planning is then your friend.
    I'm sure other people have oodles of other tricks to get similar or better results. Maybe they will tell us (?).

Your background pattern for the entwined hearts is beautiful.
    Thanks Byron,

The background pattern was created in Paint Shop Pro's kaleidoscope effect and then a weave pattern was applied to it, Kind of appropriate for the current discussion.

For my first weave I did duplicate the bottom weave layer a couple of times to lessen the shadow disturbance. On this second one I didn't have to duplicated the bottom layer again because the selected area didn't include anything that wasn't intersected with the middle layer.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt_Betsy View Post
    One more trick to the puzzle, once you have the middle layer sandwiched in between the top and bottom, select layer content from the middle layer and then go to the top layer and erase as needed and only the parts that cross the middle layer will erase. The shadow remains untouched for the part not crossing the middle layer.
    AB, I might be missing a beat. I'm not sure I follow what you are getting at selecting content from the sandwiched layer. Which shadow is remaining untouched that otherwise would be undesirably touched. Can you show that more clearly?

Meanwhile, when stickers, for example, cast shadows, sometimes the layer duplication creates undesirably heavy shadows requiring that you erase almost all the material in the top layer (or at least the shadow overlay duplication) except at the cross point on top that you want to preserve. But I think that's a different issue than the one you might be suggesting. Is that correct?
    //

AB, I might be missing a beat. I'm not sure I follow what you are getting at selecting content from the sandwiched layer. Which shadow is remaining untouched that otherwise would be undesirably touched. Can you show that more clearly?

Meanwhile, when stickers, for example, cast shadows, sometimes the layer duplication creates undesirably heavy shadows requiring that you erase almost all the material in the top layer (or at least the shadow overlay duplication) except at the cross point on top that you want to preserve. But I think that's a different issue than the one you might be suggesting. Is that correct?
    Byron, you can still use the "Select Layer Contents" to do it your way, you just have to invert the selection. Then you go to the top layer and hit the delete key and the only thing left on the top layer is where it intersects the middle layer. Invert the selection again and erase the cross under pieces. I hide the bottom weave on the last picture to show you.

I took a really good look at your weave, I think you were doing more duplicating layers and then adjusting the layer color and erasing the parts you want and you maybe did some kind of pattern fill. Your pattern repeats except for the colors.

Name:	Artrage weave.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	74203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artrage weave2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	74202  
    Last edited by Aunt_Betsy; 03-18-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt_Betsy View Post
    Byron, you can still use the "Select Layer Contents" to do it your way, you just have to invert the selection. Then you go to the top layer and hit the delete key and the only thing left on the top layer is where it intersects the middle layer. Invert the selection again and erase the cross under pieces. I hide the bottom weave on the last picture to show you.

I took a really good look at your weave, I think you were doing more duplicating layers and then adjusting the layer color and erasing the parts you want and you maybe did some kind of pattern fill. Your pattern repeats except for the colors.
    Ah yes, I see. That IS a good trick and a faster work flow. Inverting the selection handles the erasing and resolves the shadow problem much faster. Excellent tip.

As for my exercise, no, for the weave there was only the one duplicate horizontal layer sandwiching the vertical, with original strokes and no layer color adjustments or pattern fills. After the weave was completed I merged the layers for a single, completed, weave layer. Then I painted a pattern underneath on a new, lower layer with one of your stickers, varying the brush size and with a dark-gray color ever slightly modulated here and there. When that was complete, YES, I created the intersecting design element with an additional two, lower layers with a duplicate of one placed above the weave, with select erasing, which is maybe what you are pointing out. These were painted with the paint roller and knife blur settings. I did some touch-up on the now-single weave layer with the blur knife at the edges and corners of the painting for typical compositional and focal-point reasons. There were no layer color adjustments, which I only occasionally do. It's a pretty easy exercise. Your method of selecting the middle layer content is faster to execute the weave - a terrific tip I won't forget. So simple, but it never occurred to me. I imagine it is a common practice (?).
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-18-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    //