ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etsy

Talking Etsy

has anyone had any luck with

http://www.etsy.com/browse/art/paint...al/?ship_to=GB

they have a whole gallery selling digital art

you can get some nice wall candy for 10

Robin

I've thought about it many times and done nothing up to date. A definite possibility nevertheless.

One of the many such fishing holes. It's all subjective. If you're going to do art anyway, then it's merely another place to show and maybe sell something. Why not. Just be careful about expectations. I've seen people use it as a way to evaluate whether it's viable being an artist or not. You can't look at it like that. If you're secure as an artist, then what have you got to loose. And you could maybe make some money on the side. And who knows from there? Good luck and have fun with it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Talking what are the costs

I read a post on Etsy, where a $90 item would cost $20 in shipping, fees and paypal

Digiart is offered for $20 or less

Smacks of vanity publishing

There is no sub classification of artwork, so if your buyer wanted a brownish landscape of a certain size, he's gonna waste a ton of time sifting pages

Deviant Art

same vanity publishing con, but millions of works in your face

Put a buyers hat on, where would you start?

Are we to consign digiart to the realms of model railway enthusiasts and the like - beautiful skilful work but utterly useless (no market value above a plug nickel)

I hope not, but Photoshop ruined the whole concept in punters minds (yet class PS work requires great time and skill)

The marketing is wrong

Gotta think about this

Trying to discuss this with artists is like talking about personal hygene problems. We've all got the same problems but dont want to talk about it.

Hmmm

Robin

Yes. Or to put it a different way, harken back to the good old days when you were a sperm cell. . . ah the good old days. . . Everyone out in the world won that round. This is the next heat in the race.

Moving past the personal growth and fun factor which is valid, one trick to being a working artist is to find what people want and need and give it to them. That's a good place to start. And if you can do it on a regular basis, you have something to make money from. They used to say about design that "Form follows function". Money follows it too.

Money follows value although in this market manipulated world it sometimes look like it's the other way around. But by shifting one's concept of being the ego of the artist to that of providing a service, there are possibilities to that concept. The world is changing from the old concepts.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I'm off to my artist market this morning and usually sell about $300 of digital prints each time.

National 4X treasure

You got 100's of these 4X sponsored arts and craft markets in Victoria alone - cunning way to work up a thirst - sigh then you got the weather for it

Put on a buyer's hat for a moment

I was looking for some decorative art for my dining Room. I had a rough size and swatch of colours and a tropical sunset over a bay in mind. I was looking for a oil canvas (giclee) style, impasto finish that would take an overhead broad spot highlight.

Now in the traditional world, you cant just go to an outlet and give that spec (though on line you'll have hundreds of naff options if you can spare the time to sift

Duh

Then if you buy one of these, you may suffer the custard pie in the gob of a guest saying "oh my neighbours got that in his den"

Well thats what you get with repro's (though I wouldnt be without my Tretchikoff - but that a long story from my Joburg days and forays down to LM)

So we digidabblers have the technology now to tailor-make some DA to suit the above spec and its ilk. Further more it could be done on the fly, adjusting swatches, aspect ratio, art style and even laying in a nubile chocolate lady on top of your choice(or the customers pet cat). All of this composited in minutes and displayed by video projector inside and black hood say, AND a unique composition to that instant

Get the modest money and ship the rolled article (or gift) within a week, anywhere

Go for the personal market, Portraits, pets, children, the mansion

Go for the tourist market, popular landmarks, vistas, cow-eyed roos with someone's kid sticking out the pouch

With techniques available now to the Digidabbler, you can turn out quasi fine art thats more realistic than your average litho print

Bring the techno-dabble out of the basement and into the punters face (without him realising). We need Ruth Cracknell (bless her) on board the marketing train.

Well thats my 2c worth

Robin Outrage

ps

I always remember a school outing to Montmartre and the famous little square - Place du Tertre. It was packed with jostling al fresco voyou artists, with their easels and praphenalia all looking at the same view with variations on trite interpretative style

try this

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mon...w=1024&bih=635

Is that an artists market or what

And this is the Asian equivalent

http://www.neighbour-art.com/artist_...product_type=1

OBTW

Price guide on the repro Rembrandts goes by size and is ca 200/m2 and these really are hand painted acrylic on canvas down a grubby side street and are pretty much as displayed on the web - very realistic - scary.
    Last edited by robint; 03-16-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Yeah. And if this is what your heart is telling ya about why you're doing art, then art as you described it is probably not the way to go for ya. I can't imagine being able to pick up a pencil while carrying such a load of overwhelm. It's one of the reasons I don't touch those venues personally. Not saying I wouldn't. Just saying it's a great recipe for artistic paralysis since it appears pointless.

So yeah, it's rather obvious that's the 'given'. So the creative question comes to be whatcha gonna do about you in relation to it, then, eh? (rhetorical question)

Just how creative are ya? (You may want to answer that for yourself and not wait for the world to give you a same old same old solution that everybody else is doing lest you find yourself in knots again.) The world's like a canvas. Use your creativity. You may want to put your energy into something else and blend your artistic skills into whatever that is.

I once wrote an article for a newspaper about how over the course of one's life there can be anticipated many careers. Doesn't always happen. But it does a whole lot (around 6 times through the span of a career had been fairly common according to college counselors). So it would do well to be creative with your life. It's bigger than paintings and drawings. It's about you in your world as it is now.

While there may be a saturation of artists and art out there, nobody is better at being you than you are. You should make yourself the art form and take it from there.

I would bet that Copespeak sells a lot because she is physically present at the point of sale and they are buying the aura she projects in addition to the art. Otherwise, her art is just another bit of art liable to be lost in the shuffle. Buyers like to feel connected to their artist. Book buyers their authors. Ladies their GaGa's.

Embrace the world if you want something from the world. Don't cower from it.

We had a great day. Lots of people we know stopping for a social chat. Others who know of my work in the area, and just happy appreciative people who want a small piece of me.

My baby elephant I just did for practice many months ago has now earned me over $500.

Mr Akey is right. Make of it what you can and love your life.

Of course, it piddled down with rain as we packed up and scuttled off in our cars!

so glad you mentioned it

Hi CS

Sounds like a nice day out, I'm not doing it right

When people look my work, it gives them a chuckle but they say its like looking at Elephants, they wouldn't want to own one (not on my lounge wall)

But DA

Pls dont mistake my observations on the Digital Art environment for my personal tastes. I put the bunch of nettles on the table to incite discussion into where we are with the astonishing developments that are now and just round the corner for the enthusiast

I have always been totally in awe of people with real natural talent. They do, in dexterity and artistic eye, what we practitioners can't hope to achieve, but pc apps give us a chance to approach their genious in ways never before possible.

I liken it to the origins of digital cameras and how they transformed the fumbling amateur into a semi-pro. Add photoshop on top and said amateurs can produce some very agreeable work (millions of them at it now)

However, as an aforesaid amateur, I know enough to recognise and marvel at the photographic works of professionals, still trying to work out how they do it.

With Digital art, are we on the same threshhold?

I gave an example of the repro's produced out of the far east. If you want a Rembrandt in your Bijou breakfast room, just order one up and you will get an astonishing likeness in every respect. I know this cos I have seen these guys working on these masterpieces personally - 200-300 +pnp and its yours
    BUT IS IT ART?

In fact if you browse their original work (apart from spirited Buddhas) it is pretty lacklustre - like tourist trash but may mean something to someone - like my green lady, the butt of derision most of her life - yet Tretchikoff had the genius to spot the multatto in the Capetown slums in the 60's and in later years I saw the same lustre in the dim red lights of back street LM (now Maputo)

What I would really like to see is a virtual gallery, suitably organised that will showcase finished work which is selected by merit, not by a committee of opinionated experts - the bane of artist life - but by common conscensus of people logged in to vote. Bit like a digital Royal Academy without their self styled experts who can be so drastically wrong with their opinionations. Sounds like 4X sponsorship is needed here

Perhaps the top tier of works get offered for auction once a month - wouldnt that be exciting

Where are the Digi art colonies?

Think of the Cornish School and how that started and how art flourished in 80 or so colonies around Europe 1870-1970

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/l...sh-school.html

So how to collect that equivalent spirit of like Digi minds following particular genres or Schools?

I have the vision but there is so much fog in the way

Robin breakfast time