ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Layer Blend Modes

Layer Blend Modes

Some years ago when I started on the arduous road to learning PS. I took a year and around 10 dvd tutorials

I quickly learned that Adobe's mission was to have you as a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed on TihS.
    I tried to unravel the mysteries of exactly what all the blend modes were doing to the RGB pixels cos I wasnt happy with the suck it and see approach (and I still dont like it in Digiart)

For example two layers where the top layer multiplies on the layer below

Yes we know that it will pick up on the darker of pixels above and below and display that - but its a crude woolly explanation and gets worse as you move down

If one understood the simple arithmetic going on between rgb values it would be so much easier to grasp the workings. Is it too much to expect?

Does anyone know of a good explanatory source?

I realise my scientific approach to digiart will be a big turnoff to natural artists but it doesnt make me a bad person

Cheers

Robin

"I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Clear as mud

Thanx J

I should have googled

The soft light seems to have been discussed competently but the rest is largely specious, then I looked at Alpha compositing and really gave myself a headache

There must be a better way than "suck it and see if it looks nice"

I spent a year studying Colour Physics, fascinating to discover how most of us take our perception of colour for granted without really understanding it. A few simple experiments showed me how wrong one could be

Till rgb colour tv arrived, we only had the painter's medium to consider (natural reflected light and subtractive colour mixing). There were few examples of additive colour mixing occurring naturally (rainbows, prisms)

Along came the pc and MS Paint and we were able to add rgb's together and produce quite unnatural confusion with the real world

eg consider the problem of simulating the mixing of paint colours (which themselves contain mixtures of finelly ground ochres). Paint Companies have invested millions in RnD on the topic

Now we try and do all this by layers and blending

Does my head in

Someone has an epigram

"paintings easy when you dont know how and hard when you do"

Very true

Robin Headache

blend modes

Good tip

Thanx, I am going to follow those vidtuts up, Adobe likes to make things complicated and full of trivial bells and whistles, cos they can, cost them almost nothing and makes CS look more mystical than the bloatware it really is + CS6 = $1200!!!!!!!!!

Then we have our magical AR4 $50, am I dreaming, am I gonna wake up and it will all vanish?

I havent had a flush like that since Sketchup 4 came out

Back to study

Robin