ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Have you had any success with printing your work

Cool Have you had any success with printing your work

Hi Guys

scanned many of your works and I wondered what your experiences were when you had your work put on physical media (maybe this is discussed eslewhere - pls point)

IMHO large inkjet colour printing has now become very cheap (compared to 5 years ago say) and a variety of media are available including various grained papers/weights/faux canvas-giclee etc and you can go up to A1 size in my local printers for small money (course then you gotta mount the beast)

Ive tested this area and have some pleasing results hanging on my wall which retail for hundreds of beer vouchers

Some of the results with water colour and oils have surprised the casual punter (I never attempt to deceive)

I notice that some of you are using a coarse canvas. I was told that this is not advisable if you are going to print on giclee canvas (use a plain background and let the real canvas do the work

What has been your experience?

I print with an Epson R3000 and get very good results with Monitor calibration and soft proofing in Photoshop. I print onto Epson Archival Matte which has a texture of its own, so I don't use the visual AR canvas for the reasons you outline here. Printing onto canvas would give a confusing result I would think.

I do use the canvas texture to get an interaction effect on my paper, I just turn the 'light' off.

I also don't deceive, but proudly state that is is a digital painting. I enjoy the confused looks on their faces.

Talking been there

yes ive had my share of owning my own ij printer(s) over the years till a professional artist pointed me to his friendly printshop. He keeps a cheap epson a4 size for quick proofing at studio but does his serious stuff with his man who can. his argument being that your machine uses 9 ink packs total 220 a set (half the price of a new printer) and then you have all the hassle of maintenance etc plus the creative time wasted messing about as you do. he pays his print man to do that (which he does all day long)

to make it worthwhile you may have to cobble it up with external ink wells and tubes, but its a messy business and you dont know when Epson pulls a dirty trick and kills the chip. Commercial systems already have this system built in.

Has anyone exhibited successfully their digital art? Or does joe public just treat it like a offset poster print

course you can just repro your work indefinitely so its hardly a one off original (but then there was a fashion for signed litho prints way back (as my pal used to make till digi art spoiled the market)

He had one of those big cast iron litho presses with a stone platten and used handmade rag paper

There again its remarkable what a $100 will buy in decorative acrylic hand painted canvas art from China

Cheers

Robin

Hi,

You may also want to ask this question in one of the forums here that is more on topic with such questions. General Chat is a place I've often seen questions like this posted and responded to. There's a lot more traffic in those areas.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

fair point

thanx will try that