ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base Image Comes Out as Black.

Base Image Comes Out as Black.

Attachment 73995

Attachment 73996

I am working on a graphic for a framed engagement present. I began in Photoshop, doing photo effects, etc, with an imported cardboard background image as the base. All my other layers were merged beforehand, so there were only two layers.

I opened up the PSD in AR to have a bit of a scratch around on the photo edges, and the background comes up as black. Any ideas??

It looks like either there's a layer with a mode or type that isn't recognised on top of the background, or the background is a special layer type or transparent. If you look in the layer stack in ArtRage, what does the lowest layer look like? If it's transparent then the canvas will show through from underneath and that may be black.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

It obviously did not like the red content in the background layer, you would likely have been better staying in photoshop, and finishing your work there.
    Geoff

Hmmm....

See Layer Stack in PS and AR, both from the same file. The image is a straight JPG, quite a big one. 9MB.

Attachment 74001

Attachment 74002

Quirky, isn't it! I wanted to go into AR Geoff because I can do creases and curls easier.

Just a thought...
    ... artrage may be interpreting photoshops dedicated background layer as a 'canvas'.

Try duplicating the background layer in photoshop (drag the background onto the new layer icon in the layer palette). You will now have a copy of the original background but its name will say 'layer x'. Drag the original background to the trash.

What this does is ensure that artrage treats the layer as any other layer in photoshop.

Hopefully it works for you
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Great lateral thinking Juz, it worked! So simple...... dopey me!

Now I can have some fun curling those corners!

Thank you for your input.

Excellent, glad it worked

I was thinking that in photoshop the canvas (called background) lives within the layer stack, while within artrage the canvas lives outside of the layer stack and that difference in how they deal with canvas might be causing the issue.

By canvas, you mean? It was just a graphic imported in as a base layer in PS. It wasn't turned into a 'canvas'?

It will be interesting to see what Matt says.
    Last edited by copespeak; 03-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.

It's not that anything is broken as such. The two programs just deal with canvas differently.

There are reasons for why each might want to do this. Not having the canvas in the layer stack means that new learners can dive straight into the tools without having to learn how to make paper first.

Photoshop has always had the background canvas layer, its history extends to before photoshop offered actual layers.

By duplicating the 'background' to a layer in photoshop, you free it up from being a 'canvas' as such.

If your background is more complicated than a colour which artrage can translate to its own canvas forumla then its a good idea to just get used to duplicating any background in photoshop to a layer and trashing the 'background' layer.

I understand now, thanks Juz! I've been using PS extensively since PS6, but haven't moved from one application to another before.

I am a little bit smarter!