ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help! Saving causes crash, work lost forever ;_;(now with loading too)

Unhappy Help! Saving causes crash, work lost forever ;_;(now with loading too)

I have had artrage for the past few (by few I actually mean 2) days now, and I enjoyed it immensely, though I am not a professional artist, I always love the paintings I make in it.
    But, a while ago, when I completed my second real put-effort-in painting, the program crashed, not just randomly, it crashed when I clicked the save button (I thought I should save it before something bad could happen and I would lose all my stuff, oh irony!).
    Infact, I just completed the 3rd painting (which was even better than the previous 2) and it also crashed when I pressed the save button

Is there any way to fix this? I really want to make epic pieces, but there is no point if I cant save them.

Edit: It also crashes when I want to open a file as well, as I have just tried.

Also, there was no log file detailing the cause of the crash, if that helps.
    Last edited by DawnOfNights; 03-10-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Have you tried reinstalling?

If so, when you open the program, do nothing at all, and go directly to File > Save Painting As, does it still crash? If not, you may want to mention which tools you've been using, to help narrow down what might be causing it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Sorry to hear about the problem - If it's crashing when a dialog is used then there are a couple of things that might cause this. If the application crashes then we should be able to see what is happening if a crash log is generated.

If you're on Mac OS X and the app crashes, please choose the Report option in the crash window, copy the contents of the report and paste them in to an email to us at support@artrage.com so that we can see what's happening.

If you're on Windows and the app crashes, please opt to look for a solution online if prompted, then when that process completes opt to report the problem online. That report will reach us and we can see what's happening.

We're going to have to do some troubleshooting to find out what's going on, please send a mail to support@artrage.com and let us know about the problem, including which operating system you're using. We should be able to find out what's going on and get it sorted out for you!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I think it's similar to my problem, try and give this a read, maybe you can relate to something in my, oh, so long, description:
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...Destroyed-File

There are a couple of other things that might cause the problem when a file dialog is opened - This is likely to relate either to the system preventing access to a folder or, more likely, thumbnails in the dialog.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Consider Screen Capping until it is fixed / you're able to save properly...

At least for now you will not be losing paintings and can at least keep creating artwork.

Personally, for years I've been using shortcuts, as far back as I can recall .. Windows 3.11 .. 3.0? lol

Anyway, unfort sometimes Microsoft changes them, not sure why, other than possible call-in-per-incident technical fees.. If you're typing a message in Facebook, for example, and you get tired of javascript conflicts in their ads, on their pages, with other pages, etc... Well, use CTRL - A (windows default) for select all and, still holding CTRL, hit C to copy to clipboard, and then continue typing, tho you want to deselect the text, can hit the right arrow key and it will move to the end of the selected text. Although, if you select all and then hit a key it replaces the selected text with the key you just hit and my IE, for some reason doesn't allow me to do CTRL - Z for UNDO .. not sure why .. I've not gotten chrome or firefox on this machine yet, and each has benefits and things which are annoying .. Anyway, your text will be on the CLIPBOARD where you can then paste it into another message. FB text boxes get laggy when I type a larger message, tho I type fast, I am not fond of spending a few minutes on a message and completely losing it because the page is not responding. I usually keep a spare NOTEPAD.EXE open and will type in there then CTRL-A (then) CTRL -C and go to FB and paste it in a comments field. Hope this helps someone

Sooo, my point is, if you cannot save, at least you can create art, then hide the GUI and view your pic and hit PRTSCR key and it will copy what is on your screen, hence PRINT SCREEN, onto the clipboard and you can go into PAINT or something and paste it. Might not be the resolution you want, but again, you'll be able to create art and save it as an image file. It will not be layered and have all the features of Artrage within it (commands, etc) .. but you'll have a pic to show!

Hope this helps a bit!

edit: 3.13.13 - 4.33pmEST
    one thing .. regardless, you should do all the time, esp. when creating anything ONE OF A KIND / an original piece of work ... in-fact, I noiticed this forum post just popped-up with AUTOSAVE ... anyway, as soon as you have a good idea of the drawing you are working on and what it is going to be, SAVE IT!! and from then on... frequently after you have made changes .. and undos and layers and all that jazz , SAVE AGAIN! USE CTRL-S as a shortcut to SAVE IT RIGHT NOW!!! then don't forget to hit CTRL - S as you progress .. save you from plenty of headache if you have that awesome image saved, yet somehow between the time you saved 10 minutes ago and the facebook stuff you looked at and other stuff .. you didn't hit CTRL S , then you lose power, well, guess what?! YOU'RE S.O.L.!! so SAVE OFTEN!
    Last edited by Mistokus; 03-14-2013 at 09:37 AM.