ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: how to select and crop certain parts of painting

Exclamation how to select and crop certain parts of painting

i'm VERY new to artrage, along with any other advanced programs like illustrator or PS, so bare with me.. lol. as you can see in the attached photo i'm trying to move around each individual letter to resize and center them all evenly, but everytime i select and move a letter around it messes up the solid white background. im not sure if this has something to do with not using layers? but if so i'm new to that too. i know that in windows paint you can transparent select and freely move around the object you select, without it including the white area. this is probably way easier than i'm making it, but i can't seem to figure it out. any help would beClick image for larger version. 

Name:	questionsample.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	376.2 KB 
ID:	73866 appreciated.. thank you!!

You could use the selection Wand tool, click on the white, Invert Selection, then draw a Freehand selection line (holding down the ALT key) around the ones you DON"T want to move to subtract them, and the one left is moveable.

Hit Transform and move. Sounds involved, but it is easy.
    Last edited by copespeak; 03-07-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by copespeak View Post
    You could use the selection Wand tool, click on the white, Invert Sselection, then draw a Freehand selection line (holding down the ALT key) around the ones you DON"T want to move to subtract them, and the one left is moveable.

Hit Transform and move. Sounds involved, but it is easy.
    thank you!! i have another question that you might be able to answer. as you can see i am using this program to create a business logo. will i have any problems with this? is artrage advanced enough to turn anything i design into a logo? i have artrage 3 which came with my PC, I am willing to upgrade to studio pro or 4 if i have to. illustrator and photoshop are just entirely too complex for me.

Yes I suppose you'd be able to create logos etc in ArtRage, but it's really a painting programme so will find it quite fiddly I expect. I've never tried. If you are a windows user try looking at a vector drawing programme called Xara. It has a free download so you can try it out. I have used for years and love it and do all my design work in it. It also very reasonably priced compared with Adobe products. See:

http://www.xara.com/uk/products/

Hope this helps

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

Welcome to the AR forums jroberts.

Are you printing them yourself, as well (using something like the Avery card sheets you can pick up at Staples, and put through your own printer), or having it done at a print shop? In either case, you should be able to make it work, it's just for my own curiosity.

I'd recommend making the image larger then what you're going to be printing at, but in the same proportions. The standard business card is about 3.5 by 2 inches, so try 7" x 4" at 300 DPI (Dots Per Inch, for printing purposes). Making it larger helps for two reasons. One, you can always easily reduce an images size. Up-sizing, however, can be troublesome. So making it larger gives you some leeway there. The second reason, is the print bleeds. You need to give yourself some elbow room along the edges, so that your text doesn't get cropped off. This is especially useful when printing them yourself on a home printer. Make a rectangle that matches your proportions, that follows close to the edge of your canvas to mark your bleed line.

Here's a quick example, just to show you what I mean about the crop/bleed area:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	card show.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	73868

Remember to hide the crop/bleed line before exporting the card image, if you're going to print them on card templates you get from a store. If you're sending it to a printer, ask them what they'd prefer. Here's what my example would look like, if it were printed:

Name:  card_ex.png
Views: 210
Size:  168.0 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Are you using AR 3.55 or AR 3.01?

once you have a letter selected do an edit>cut and then an edit>paste. This will put the letter on its own layer and you can move it around.
    trying to move it while it is selected will actually cut it and paste it on the same layer... which indeed is awkward and it will be fixed to the position you moved it to. along with
    the other letters.

return to the main image again and repeat by selecting the letter you want and do an edit>cut again and an edit>paste. Each time return to the main image and cut another letter. Eventually, then you will have each letter on it's own layer and then they can be moved into position with the transform tool. Keep in mind that any white you leave will show up white on a colored background.

If you were able to use the type tool to make your letters with fonts, then they would freely move around without the white area.

the best way of course is to use a vector program.
    ArtRage is not really a great tool for making logos.

That's right. ArtRage is not the best Logo Design program, in the broadest sense. Vector is the way to go because you will ultimately want to scale your logo up and down, which raster images have trouble with. However, if you design your logo with type, you can float it over a painting done in ArtRage. Or if you are designing something like orange crate labels where art and type are all intertwined it's a possible way to go. But still if you can handle vector programs, it would be more versatile and less problematic in the long run.

I personally find vector programs a pain in the keester though because I never had enough need to use one that I learned it thoroughly. So it's a battle for me every time because my mind thinks like an illustrator mostly rather than a designer.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You're right Albert. My brain was a bit fried when I wrote that. Separate layers is the way to go!