ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus ep151, Win7 and 4.0.2

Asus ep151, Win7 and 4.0.2

Hi Matt and Dave, I was wondering if you could tell me if anything changed with stylus input between version 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 ?

On windows 7 both stylus pressure and touch gestures were WAI in 4.0.1, with 4.0.2 it seems i can get it either to support pressure or support touch but not both.

Could you tell me if this would be addressed by moving to Win8 (I have multiple licenced copies but have been reluctant to move because of the issues around the wacom driver).

Do you guys have any insight into whether Microsoft will support the legacy wintab stuff in realtime stylus soon? Probably a question for the microsoft forums ... its just annoying being caught in the middle as artists and for yourselves as developers I can only imagine a much larger headache.

Oh well with a new wacom tablet pc on the way I guess I can hope that this leads to much better drivers
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I suspect Realtime Stylus won't be adjusted to support Wintab as Wintab is a non MS standard. Realtime Stylus is designed specifically for devices that have an integrated screen input device and if the drivers work correctly it should support all properties such as pressure.

Things did change between 401 and 402 - 401 had a bug that caused the driver support to drop back to the old Ink Services standard if Use Touch was turned off. This caused a crash on some systems that had drivers that appeared to have partially implemented Ink Services support or something similar.

In theory (and we don't have an EP121 currently to test on so this is hard to pin down) turning Use Wintab off, Use Realtime Stylus on, and Use Touch on should give pressure and touch input because RTS supports those and the tablet drivers should also support them. Does that work?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    In theory (and we don't have an EP121 currently to test on so this is hard to pin down) turning Use Wintab off, Use Realtime Stylus on, and Use Touch on should give pressure and touch input because RTS supports those and the tablet drivers should also support them. Does that work?
    That was what i had with 4.0.1 which worked as intended. Since the 4.0.2 update I seem to have lost pressure sensitivity with this and can only achieve it by turning wintab back on.

Wacom Driver I'm using is 7.0.2-21

Okay, I think what's happening is the extra checking we do in 4.0.2 to make sure we're correctly working with either Wintab or RTS means that because you have a Wacom driver rather than the Asus RTS driver you're getting Wintab events and those don't support touch screen gesture input on all devices. Have you checked to see if ASUS have a driver specifically for the device? In general, drivers downloaded from Wacom aren't tailored for specific machines - the drivers vendors provide have been adjusted for the hardware.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt
    The 7.0.2-21 driver is the one direct from Asus for win7 64bit.
    Not sure that this is responsible though as all was working in artrage 4.0.1

After creating a brush with a 0% aspect, I have somehow broken rotation on oil brushes. They are behaving in a 'locked' fashion as would a mouse. Rotation is working for blenders still. When i check the stylus properties for the brush, Pen Twist is set to Rotation which is the same as what I have on the cintiq where they work properly.

Uninstalled the application and reinstalled to try to fix the issue with the oil brushes being locked vertically, with no luck whatsoever. Touch I can survive without, but rotation? ... yikes!

I didn't happen to keep a copy of the 4.0.1 installer which means i'll have to go back to 3.5 if i can't get rotation to respond.
    Last edited by Juz; 03-07-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Regarding rotation: Pen Twist refers to Barrel Rotation, which I doubt is supported on your EP121. If you select Reset in the tool's menu (click the preset block at the top of the settings panel) that will reset the tool to default.

Changing the aspect of the brush head flattens it so that it behaves differently as it moves in different directions. If this didn't happen, there would be no visual difference between a low aspect brush and a high aspect one (the width of the stroke would remain the same regardless of direction). The ArtRage 3 oil brush was essentially circular, like a 100% aspect brush, so it remained the same width regardless of which direction you moved.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Sorry I said rotation but i mean tilt (the air is quite thin up this way ). Until 4.0.2 I could adjust the angle of a brush without having to touch the 'rotation' slider. It would just occur naturally as I adjusted the angle of my hand.

In earlier 4.0.x versions the brush would make itself perpendicular to the axis of the pen if the pen was tilted. I still have this behaviour on my main machine but it no longer works on my tablet.

The oil brush now behaves exactly the same as a mouse or caligraphy brush staying at a 'fixed' angle (i.e not tracking tilt anymore). I'm left with making a stroke, adjusting the rotation slider, making another stroke, adjusting the rotation slider etc effectively turning the tablet into a mighty expensive mousepad.
    Last edited by Juz; 03-07-2013 at 04:24 PM.

If the behaviour of an oil brush at aspect less than 100% has changed, it sounds like tilt direction isn't being provided by the tablet drivers. Could you use the airbrush and see if Tilt is adjusting the stroke on that? If not, then you may need to switch input settings.

Basically, if the drivers on your device work as Microsoft intends Windows input drivers to work, Realtime Stylus On, Wintab Off, Precise Tablet On should recognise all input options the stylus type provides because you're using an integrated screen input device. If the drivers are not properly supporting the standard then you may need to switch to Wintab, but that may limit your input options. The difference between 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 is that .1 had a problem that could cause it to revert to an older, incomplete input standard (Ink Services) which is only valid for Windows XP and could cause a crash on later systems if the drivers were still partially supporting it. In the case of the EP121 that bug may have given more functionality but unfortunately it caused instability and couldn't be left in there.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Tilt is working for airbrush, just the oil brush is being naughty it seems.

As no other ep121 win7 users have chimed in on the thread, I suspect the problem is local to my machine here. So I think the best solution for me might be to wipe, move to win8 and get back to you.

Thanks for your time and patience, much appreciated

Hi Matt,

Just did a clean install of win8 on the ep121, no other apps, only artrage 4.0.2.
    Drivers from win8 update, no custom drivers at all.

Tilt works for the airbrush but still does not work for the oilbrush. So there's definitely a problem with the Oilbrush.

The driver is supporting touch and pressure at the same time... so that problems solved at least
    Last edited by Juz; 03-10-2013 at 06:15 PM.