ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Wolf

Wolf

New to Artrage 4 and this is my first effort using mainly the watercolour brush and palette knife.Name:  wolf.png
Views: 345
Size:  438.4 KB

Is this so hopeless that no-one has anything to comment

Goodness, I do apologise! I saw this when I had no time to comment and did mean to go back later. Sometimes the forum gallery has so many uploads that some just go under the radar, covered by lots of others.

I do like your wolf very much. I would consider cropping the unused space on either side so he sits in the frame with more authority. How about putting some subtle hair on him, you could do that with the Knife edge maybe? The good thing about AR is you can experiment and undo as much as you like.

Play around and see how you go.

Welcome to the forum and Art Rage. We will ALL look forward to seeing more.

Smile

Thanks so much for your comments. I shall take them on board and see what I can do.

Hi Gatablanca, I hope you don't mind I took a little time to do my own rough version based on your image, just so I could show you rather than just tell you what my thoughts are. You've got a good indication of light on the wolf and you can add to the feeling of your wolf existing in space by letting some light happen in your background. Notice how the background color is a wash of color that changes from light blue to deeper blue and the density of the color varies over the surface. Also the fall off at the base of the wolf's neck is softened to let it fade into the background. This has a tendency to make the figure seem to exist in the space I've created in the background wash rather than sitting on top of it.

I hope this is helpful. Keep painting and posting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolf.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	73899
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Take the fact that Fashmir took the time to tutor you as an affirmation of your potential.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade View Post
    Take the fact that Fashmir took the time to tutor you as an affirmation of your potential.
    I really do appreciate the time given to help me. I've had another try at my image but I couldn't get to grips with the watercolour effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi gatablanca, I normally don't comment in the Critique forum but I liked your wolf image so much I thought I would give you my two cents for what it's worth.

I like the improvements you have made to the hair and background, but now when I first look at the image my eye is drawn to the front of the neck. I think you should put some more detail around the eye and maybe the mussel. You have put emotion into the posture of the wolf, now it needs some emotion on it's face.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:
    Aunt Betsy's Celebration Art

Thank you very much for your comments and I have taken notice of what you've pointed out. I'm new to Artrage 4 and the positive remarks are proving very useful.
    Artrage 4