ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: My ArtRage 4 is a RAM hog

Unhappy My ArtRage 4 is a RAM hog

I upgraded ArtRage Studio Pro 3.5.5 to the ArtRage 4, and 4 is a massive memory hog. I can lose a whole gigabyte of RAM just with one simple drawing 1100x1100px. I wasn't using sticker brushes, which I know can eat a lot. It was maybe 5 layers, roller brush and ink pen. Is this normal, or do I need to tweak something?
    Thanks in advance!

ArtRage 4 is actually slightly more memory efficient than 3, we made some adjustments to layer handling to allow for this. 1100 x 1100 isn't huge but the layers do need to store more than just colour information. Could you let me know what tool you're using to check this? We've found that some memory monitoring tools (such as Task Manager under Windows) report total peak memory usage not actual current usage, and even doing something as simple as minimising a window can change the result drastically.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

reply to Matt

Hey Matt,
    I'm on a Mac, OSX Lion. 4GB RAM. And, the app is called FreeMemory. It doesn't list the apps using memory like Task Manager and Activity Monitor. It shows how much is being used overall versus how much is left of free memory. It'll go from something like 2.25GB down to 1.25GB free over the course of using the app. I guess it's the layers? I just set up a to-do template in the app and it did the same thing. That was about 4 layers, mostly ink pen, some color. *shrug* Otherwise, I love this upgrade.
    Thanks!
    Karrie

I'll take a look and see if I can see what's happening - Layers should actually be using less memory in 4 so I'm not sure what's causing that.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you! Much appreciated

I have read somewhere that apps such as freememory should be avoided and that they do more harm than good

You might do a google on it.

Mic

osx 10.6

Thanks for mentioning that. I did a quick search and came up with one or two listings. For now I'll keep it installed but inactive, see if I notice any difference. Mainly I use it to monitor what's available, and not to actually do anything about freeing memory. It's distracting tho!