ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New Guy and Printer Question(s)

Talking New Guy and Printer Question(s)

Hi All!

Asking for a little guidance and recommendation concerning printing.

Can one get a good printer for printing AR work drawings for under $200 ?

This is just to print my artwork for display, but I would like quality, realistic prints.

In sum I'm asking, what printers do you forum members use and what about inks?

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

_Scott

Red face

The printer is not the problem it is the monitor and printer profiles. I have even done this on cheap $100 printers. I would recommend you have a look at the Spyder4 from datacolor.

I use an Epson Workforce 1100. Costs about 125$, is wide format, waterproof inks, and talks heavier paper, like 140 lb watercolor paper, if you feed it in manually. It's finicky about getting the inks to come out right if you haven't used it in a while. You'll need to run cleanings, and the inks not particularly cheap. But it makes very nice prints, is inexpensive, and works wonderfully on heavier papers. A good printer for the price, IMO.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Just to clarify;
    DataColor, makers of the Spyder4 do not make printers!
    They do however make quite good color monitoring/calibration equipment for both monitors (like the Spyder4Pro which I use) and SpyderPrint for printers, which I would recommend if you are doing your own printing. Basically it lets you make your own custom ICC profiles based on; type of printer, paper & ink.

There are printers however made by Inca called Spyder V and Spyder 320.
    Probably not what you are looking for ScottInCharlotte and they are quite big!
    Name:  inca_spyder.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  20.0 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)