ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circle template

Circle template

I have read the manual about creating a stencil from layer contents.
    I am trying to create a circle template from a picture.
    I was able to get one that blocked the circles (which might come in handy), but I wanted one that let the circles be painted while blocking outside the circles.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

There's a pull-down menu in the Active Stencil area that allows you to invert the stencil:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stencil Lesson 2.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	342.5 KB 
ID:	73435
    Happy Raging,
    Sue Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by sueellen View Post
    There's a pull-down menu in the Active Stencil area that allows you to invert the stencil:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stencil Lesson 2.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	342.5 KB 
ID:	73435
    Happy Raging,
    Sue Ellen
    You can get the same drop-down menu right-clicking on the stencil. You can invert any stencil except the default rulers.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Wow! Way easier. I shall right-click the stencil from now on. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sueellen View Post
    Wow! Way easier. I shall right-click the stencil from now on. Thanks!
    LOL. Often in AR, as with many programs, when in doubt, right-click. Lots of handy right-click dropdowns throughout Artrage.
    //

Just for future reference, the darker an area is on a stencil, the more color will be allowed through. So pure white blocks a color, while pure black allows the full color through. So in your case Edward, you'd only need to invert the black and white areas of your image, to make it open as a stencil that has the circles empty.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I can now make a stencil from an image and I can invert it and move it and that's great.
    Now I need to add it to the ruler group or a new group.
    I didn't see a tool for that and dragging doesn't work and I've created stencil from layer contents but how do I save it as a stencil? (right clicking doesn't work)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stencils2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	73606  

If your stencil image is already living someplace else on your Hard Drive then;
    Open the Stencils Panel
    Click "Add Group" if you want it to live in a brand-new group. If not then select a pre-existing group from the list on the left.
    Then click "Import Stencil" Navigate to the image and select.

If you've made the new stencil by 'New Stencil From Layer Contents' Right click on the new stencil and select 'Add To Collection...'.
    Or if you have the Stencils Panel open then go to the Active group and you can get the same option there by clicking the stencils menu button just below the little eye icon.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Ingram View Post
    I can now make a stencil from an image and I can invert it and move it and that's great.
    Now I need to add it to the ruler group or a new group.
    I didn't see a tool for that and dragging doesn't work and I've created stencil from layer contents but how do I save it as a stencil? (right clicking doesn't work)
    You can change any stencil into a "Ruler" by right clicking on it and selecting the "Ruler" option. It won't always open that way though, because there's only one Group/Folder that allows for stencils to be opened in the "Ruler" mode immediately from the stencil panel, and that's the "Ruler" folder.

There's a few ways to get a stencil in there. The first method, which I'd recommend you use when you have an active Stencil already on the canvas, is right clicking the stencil and selecting "Add to Collection". On the panel that opens, you'll see a drop down menu. Click the menu and select the "Ruler" group from it, then give the Stencil a name, and click "OK". You'll then be able to open that stencil as a ruler, by finding it the "Ruler" group and opening it. The second method, which I recommend you use if you have an image file you plan to use as a stencil, is to import the image as a stencil, and direct it to the ruler group. To do this, open the Stencil Panel and then select the "Ruler" group. Now click the button that reads "Import Stencil", and import the image file you wish to use as a ruler. The third method, is to open the folder directly, and placing the image the folder that makes up the "Group" within ArtRage. To do this, open ArtRage and then go to Tools > User Content > Open User Stencils Folder. This opens up the Stencils folder which holds all of the stencils and stencil groups found within ArtRage. Locate the "Ruler" folder within it, and place the image file you want to use as a ruler within it (this is done outside of the ArtRage environment, via copy/paste etc...). You may not need to, but I'd recommend closing and restarting ArtRage after adding it to the folder.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Squeelin, when it doubt, as the previous posts illustrate, right click. 80% of the time, give or take, you'll find what you need.
    //