Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to understand watercolor workflow...

With the contours traced, I can Hide the "Tracing Image pod" and fill every single part with a different grey (see color pod)
    that I painted with the ink pen.
    I grouped those objects in a folder named "Masques_1".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C_Masks.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	73825

From now on, I am able to isolate a single objet (like "Mask_Flower_1) by selecting that layer and calling => "Edit - Select Layer Contents".
    Make that layer (mask) invisible, create a new layer to put your colors in, and paint within the borders.
    From now on, I will never paint an unwanted color from "Flower_1" on "Flower_2"... And I can use a large (and very very large to...) brush
    to build up my flower colors.

Does it make sens?

What I explain from the starting first step is not different from Steve B's tutorial.
    But using the "selection tool", I discovered that it is possible to add a selection to an other. ok... Why not use this possibility to make
    a selection of a shade of grey (like you can see them in post #9 in the second picture) witch is in the border of saying... "Flower_1"?

So I struggled around with the "selection picker" for every one of the 4 shades of grey and, when complete, filled the selection with a
    unique color (a grey !!!) and copied it in a layer.

That was a detailed work; All the 4 selections ended in a group named "Masque_2" (in french in the text).

Name:	D_Shadows.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	73826

I have now the ground material to continue my exploring of the watercolor technique, knowing that what ever I will do, it will stay in the
    right place.
    I could choice to paint the first flower in blue (why not?) and paste textures of a brick wall over it.... Crazy yes, but possible and easy.
    So I started to use and experiment with wet brushes. No good. Then dry brushes. Then starting again and inverting the order.
    And also using the knife, or the "triangle chaos", mentioned by Steve.

I had a lot of fun but finally... I was lost in my image.
    Hopefully you showed me other ways to follow, other possibilitys that I have to try... When I will find the time

Name:	E_Final.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	73827

I am sure that if I find the time... I can improve my watercolor painting, just starting again from the step: "mixing colors".

Hope that my little "tutorial" helps.

A last word about the background...

It was simply done by usin a watercolor brush over the "posterised" picture in the tracing pod. Picking the color in a random place
    and making long strokes following loosely the same color.
    Ending with the blending (frost) knife.

The result looks to much blurred but had the advantage to be fast done.

Mick, this is fascinating. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to explain and illustrate your work flow.

Mick,
    This process you went through is fascinating, and I think it could be really helpful to others!

When I brought up Layers, and how you were using them, I was focusing more on how you're applying color rather than tone. By looking at the last image you showed, I can better see how you've set up your layers. Currently, you have only a single layer for your colors, and many layers for your tones. However, if you divide up your "color layers" a bit (perhaps into 2-4 layers), particularly when they overlap one on top of another, then I think they'll become less muddy. I also agree with the earlier advice to use only a low % of Thinners, which I find can do odd things to the color washes. Finally, the current look makes me wonder if you'd have greater success using the Blenders more. These are absolutely essential, IMO, and the streaking or "banding" of colors you're getting is often a sign that blending hasn't occurred.

Anyways, this is all only meant to be taken in the most useful and helpful way. I think the work you're doing is good, and I think the kind of critical mind and approach your bringing to it will only help you gain a better command of the medium faster! Good luck. And report back!
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

I am working on one at the moment using mostly roller and blender, and thought you might like to add it to your mix. I do have some layers, multiply and not. I try hard to observe each area as I go to stay true to the look of watercolour.

Lots more to do, but I am over the hump now. Great fun!!

Attachment 73840

gorgeous Robyn. did you ever do a demo? because that is a fantastic watercolor.