ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to understand watercolor workflow...

Trying to understand watercolor workflow...

ok! Watercolor is a mystery for me. I read again and again all the great tutorials from "Steve B" about watercolor. But it seems that the colors don't obey to me. Something is wrong in my experiment.
    I don't know what, but something does not work well, as I would like it.
    First, I have the feeling that the colors, when they are applied to wet canvas, or when they are applied to a dry one... do what they want, and not what I want.
    The result? Is much more an improvisation than a well planed work.
    ok... I had a lot of fun doing that paint: and that is essential.
    Here is my first watercolor job. Be kind with my explanations, I am French so sorry for my bad writing.

And now... Ladies and Gentlemen... Here is the great moment where the "Frog" jumps in the water... In the watercolor!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orch_03_ligne.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	73394

Thank's for your advises and critics.

I very much like your Orchids. You might try experimenting with some presets with less thinner or no thinner at all. They seem to behave better that way. Water, unfortunately, sometimes acts like it is opaque white on some settings in our ArtRage watercolors. Be sure to use a textured canvas for watercolors. Don't be afraid to use other presets like felt pens, airbrush and pencil in your watercolor technique. You will eventually find some good presets for your watercolors. I will send you a script to look at.

P.S. I made two scripts for you today which will give you some of the presets I use for watercolor as well as the entire files to examine at your leisure.

two scripts are inside a folder called watercolor... one is my watercolor method and the other one is called orchids part two you can download them here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ck9ju7n4lyapn

hope you enjoy them and I hope they help with some ideas for simulating watercolor in ArtRage.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-22-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Thank you

screenpainter for your tutorial and the time you spend on it. You were right saying not to use to much thiner. That was the fact. And I also used to much
    the "Low Blending" from the watercolor presets. I want back to my work at an earlier step, and I used the knife and the "Triangular Chaos" and
    here is the result =>

Name:	orch_04_knifed.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	73443

With your method, the colors seems to better respond to what I want them to look.
    I think I will start again all the job from the beginning just after the steps where I created the selection masks to be able to keep the colors in there
    places.
    It was also a revelation to see in your "artpacks" that it's possible to mix the pencil, the pen, the gloop pen without loosing the watercolor touch.
    I need to work on that.

very nice work... I already see the difference in the new watercolor.

It has taken time to get over being fussy about being an ArtRage "purist" like they have in the art world.. ie: not mixing watercolor with any thing else. They do not like mixing mediums and frown on that in the traditional world. In digital, it is whatever works to get the desired effect. I think when Artrage 3.5 came out and we were introduced to sticker brushes, that sort of changed everything. They interact with all the other mediums... which is amazing when you think about it. It still blows my mind how oil and chalk can mix with watercolor. So the lesson learned is... anything it takes to get what you want in digital painting.

I am glad you watched and enjoyed the scripts. You are very welcome. It is something I had been meaning to do for a long time to show folks the way various tools are used together. And I hope you got some good presets that I use often. I love the soft pastel in the felt pen category. It comes in very handy time and time again. Also the large glazer preset for the ink pen tool, I use it to glaze colors over the top of watercolors and give them more depth. You should be able to grab that preset also. I have shared some of these in the art supplies section of the forum. Also now you should have a preset called a paint splatter sticker brush preset which adds a water color effect often seen in watercolors of splashing drips of watercolor on the paper with a toothbrush or coarse bristle brush.

I also would like to do a package of my watercolor brushes and watercolor papers. Hopefully I will get around to that soon.

nice to meet you. glad you enjoyed them.

-Albert

Smile

Yes I enjoyed your script and if you plan to create a new one to show the ways various tools are used, that could be a helpful teaching for
    every one here; and absolutely for me. I am waiting for it

But there is one point that is not easy to see in a script, that is when you change the tool or the presets of a tool. Best would be to use
    the "tool cursor" and not the "precise" or "outline" one (from the preference menu... cursors). Nice also that you let the "settings pod"
    open like you did it: that gave me the possibility to use your params.

I also noticed that the grain used for the paper has a big impact on the result of a tool in watercolor; specially with the crayon.

Do you think it's important to use the same paper grain every time one uses the watercolor tool? So one can learn and memorize
    the effect witch came out of the stylus ?
    I think that learning and integrating the behavior of the tool is crucial, no? Specialy withe watercolors.
    I am not sure that it makes sense what I am trying to explain.

The nice thing about ArtRage 4 is that we can now keep track of the presets we use for watercolor tool. I am not sure how important it would be to use the same paper... because there are several papers I use for watercolor. Two of the canvas preset packages that are invaluable are Juz's traditional media papers and another package by Yotex called Yotex papers. I am not sure if they are built in yet, but you can download them from art supplies. Definitely worth having. Also there is one by Someonesane that is great for watercolor.

Juz papers are here.

Yotex papers are here. (see post #25 where I combined Yotex papers into an arpack for download.)

also this thread has someonesane's paper and also some by chuckart.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...r-bleed-effect

I am really sorry that I kept the reference so big and obscured the video. That was a huge oversight on my part. I don't think you can record the tool cursors in artrage scripts but I think it will work if I record it in Camstudio program to show the tools. You can usually see which tool is selected by the green highlight in the tool panel.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-27-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Hi Mick,
    I was wondering- on this watercolor, how many layers are you using? This has the look of being done on only 1 or 2 layers. I have found this doesn't work well, as the colors become muddy and lose their texture. I have a video on using Layers to simulate drying your watercolors one layer at a time. Have you had the opportunity to watch it? If not, that would be my suggestion. Use a layer for one color or two, make a new layer, set it to Multiply for your Blend Mode, do next color or two on that new layer, etc. and let your colors "build" one dry layer at a time. Then you can either drop that new layer down to keep your file size small, or keep your layers for flexibility.

IMO, Artrage is good at "dry" watercolors, but is not as convincing with "wet" watercolors. For wet watercolors, you'll need, IMO, to lay your colors down, "dry" your layers, and then use your blending tools to soften the edges or drag your paints around. The Blenders are definitely your friend in AR.

AR essentially takes what is one process in real life (apply color to canvas and let water do its thing) and divides it into two digital processes (apply color with Watercolor brush, or Felt Tip Pen, etc, and then blend out with Blenders). This makes things not quite as spontaneous as in natural media, but it allows for greater control and less computational needs when laying down color. Other programs, such as Corel Painter, combine these two aspects into one "Brush". This is pretty neat, but also a) very computationally heavy and slow and b) limits each "brush" to doing really only a few small things.

That's the gist of the situation though, as it seems to me. I hope that's helpful! Come back and show us your progress.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Yes Steve, I had more than a simple look at your videos. But I could not integer all the new things that you speak off in a single reading. But there was one that impressed me more than the others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTNT2WowxGc
    with the title "How to Paint with watercolors in Artrage #6- Layer Masks and Glazing" .
    Maybe because he spook to me about techniques I am used to in other softwares. So I hoped to start the discovering of watercolor by beginning the walk in a known terrain: I am speaking of "masks".

That's also the reason why I titled this thread "WorkFlow"... There are certainly a lot of different ways to end the same target, and I didn't know witch one is the best. So? I just tried !!!
    And this way (who is sure not the best) helped me to reach a satisfying result, step by step, with the advantage to clearly see at witch step something went wrong.

And I think that I will keep the first steps of the process that I could name "Isolating the masks in a picture" for my future attempts.
    In the stage "mixing the colors", there is clearly something not good. The real experimenting with watercolors took place in these step.

And I have also to say that I discovered with this processing (explained in your videos, Steve) that I am able to produce a visual result who pleased me much more than if I had tempted to doodle around without a target to reach.
    ok: It's far away to be a masterpiece, but it is my own work, my personal attempt, and if I stay to be the only viewer... well... I am glad. And proud .
    So: I provide here the resources I used in that process for the one of you guys how want to follow.

Here is the genuine picture that I used as model:

Name:	01_Orchids_1920x1200.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	73821

I applied then a "posterise filter" (in an other software) to reduce the number of colors:

Name:	02_Orchids_03.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	73822

-----
    And from there, I turned it in Black and Wight and applied also contrast:

Name:	03b_Orchids_04.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	422.5 KB 
ID:	73823

You can see that I wanted to have clear defined areas of shades of greys, that can become
    masks able to isolate the different colors that I wanted to experiment with.

I could then bring every needed image in Artrage 4 to obtain that:

Name:	B_tracing.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	73824

With the tracing pod, I build up the "contour" that you see in the top layer. You can also see in the shown layers that I created a layer for
    every single separate objet that was present in the picture and that I wanted to treat in an differentiated way, like "Mask_Flower_1" and
    so on.