ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a background artist for a game project.

Looking for a background artist for a game project.

Hi, my name is Joe and I'm looking for an artist. I'm wanting to create an adventure game but need someone who can create backgrounds. This would allow me to focus more on coding the game. I need someone who can do the following...

1. Create two to three backgrounds a week.
    2. Take a simple outline sketch and have enough creativity to finish it.
    3. Experience in creating cottages, castles, landscapes, ect.
    4. Have some knowledge of game graphics would be a plus but not required.
    5. Serious inquirers only, as this is going to be a long project.

A little bit about myself. I've been a hobbyist artist and animator for years. I also have been programming for over a decade and enjoy it a lot. You can find some of my work at http://www.posemotion.com or my old site http://www.flashpulse.com. As you can see, I have a Mac Developers license and do sell a few apps on the Mac App Store.

Now back to the project details. I currently don't have money to pay someone. So the pay will either come from the games sales or from http://www.kickstarter.com funding. I already have an account their too. Just waiting to get some work done, if I plan to go that route.

So I hope someone can work with me not only on this project but if all goes well, future projects too. Just post here if you're interested with links to your work. Also, I hope it's alright I posted this here as there's no place for this anywhere else on this forum?
    Last edited by J. Baker; 02-20-2013 at 10:31 AM.

You might want to add in some more details about the specific type of game you're making, and the style of art you wish to see go in it. For example, is the game side scrolling (like Super Mario Bros., Metroid, Castlevania), top down (like the original Legend of Zelda), or Isometric (like your Diablo game). What type of gamer are you looking to cater too, because you don't want a cartoon-like style (like Mario Bros) if you're trying to appease the Diablo lot, and vise versa. Will the map be a full painting, or will it need to be broken down into tiles? Filling everyone in on the specifics will help you from getting bogged down by responses that you flat out know won't work out.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I'm looking to make a game in the style of the old Sierra adventure games like King's Quest, ect. So the scenes and objects should be colorful but not cartooning. The characters on the other hand will either be a pixel design or vector style. I would be creating and animating those, so no need to worry about that. As for the detail though. I want detail but it doesn't have to be a lot. I don't want someone spending a month creating a single background or whatever. I hope that gives a better outlook of what I'm looking for.

Thumbs up

Hi Joe

email me please..... bobbyray@artrageus.net

Have another Q for you....

Artists interested in working for free...

Think, be informed and then make your own decision.

http://onceuponasketch.com/2013/02/s...ay-no-to-free/
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

6. I agree that artists should be paid, but I want to add something:

I recognize J. Baker from two other forums I frequent, and he is a MAJOR selfless contributor to those communities, a giver not a taker. I'd say he's seeking a collaborator here, not someone he can exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Tiffany View Post
    I agree that artists should be paid, but I want to add something:

I recognize J. Baker from two other forums I frequent, and he is a MAJOR selfless contributor to those communities, a giver not a taker. I'd say he's seeking a collaborator here, not someone he can exploit.
    Thanks Steve!

Yes, I do a lot of free stuff too. Mainly because I like helping people out and I love creating new things. I recently made a program with a friend called "PureMonitor". It basically help programmers monitor the cpu memory, ect. of their apps they are developing. Making sure they stay running optimized. If anyone wants to see, the link is below. This is one of many things I just give out for free.

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/view...p?f=27&t=53285

Quote Originally Posted by Fashmir View Post
    Think, be informed and then make your own decision.

http://onceuponasketch.com/2013/02/s...ay-no-to-free/
    No, not for free. Please re-read the first post.

Hey guys, I appreciate you both responding to my post here. I am sure that this is a good opportunity for the right person/people to collaborate together. My reason for posting the link is to make artists here aware of the flip-side of this kind of proposal. There are, and I speak from vast experience, plenty of individuals and companies who make proposals very much like the one made here, who either through failed good intentions or a genuine lack of respect, accept the work of artists without ever compensating them properly. The truth is that I've come to a personal policy (unless I know the person very well) of ignoring people who say that pay will arrive on the back end from sales and such. No money up front is no money at all as far as I can prove. I've been taken in during my younger days for thousands of dollars worth of effort for nothing. I just want artists, especially those just getting into professional and semi-professional work, to have good experiences as much as possible. Dealing with the wrong people can really be a crushing experience.

Thanks for jumping in and vouching Steve. It is important that low-budget and no-budget projects get a chance at support as long as people go in with eyes open and good will on all sides.

Kings Quest, btw, was among the first computer games I played and stands as a fond memory. Good luck with your project.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

I understand what you mean Fashmir. I've been on projects where things didn't always work out as they were said to be. Being that this kind of stuff can happen on the internet it is kind of a gamble. But I have been around for a long time on various forums and worked with various people. Maybe the KickStarter would be a good idea to go with then. That way very little work has to be produced, just to have something to show on KickStarter, then when donations start coming in there would a least be a sight of payment.

I could say what kind of person I am and so forth but I guess that doesn't mean much on a forum or the internet. All I can say is that I have been working with computers for over 20 years and enjoy creating various things. So I wouldn't want to ruin my reputation here or anywhere on the net.