ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Stylus ?

Which Stylus ?

Hi,

I would like to speak about an important problem for me : I am only using the mouse for drawing and painting (because of my handicap). I can use a pen, so a stylus but the tablet prevents me to use the stylus comfortably. Therefore, I am looking a stylus which functions alone (without a tablet). Of course, for painting, I am very interested in the pression possibilites a stylus allows too.

This post may seem odd or even stupid but it is important for me : it would also be a good gymnastic for my hand and arm.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Claudine; 02-21-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Hi Claudine,

Your post is neither odd nor stupid.

I would like to assist you, but perhaps you could be a little more specific as to the limitations related to your handicap? Is it a permanent disability, or are you recovering from an injury? Are you in a wheelchair? How much movement and control do you have in your hand/arm? What is it that makes the tablet difficult to work with in conjunction with the stylus? If you could give a little more information, we might be able to provide some better guidance.

Cheers!

Thank you for your message.

I have a muscular disease with difficulties to stretch my arms out (that's why the tablet is too cumbersome, too thick for me). However, I can write with a not too heavy pen on a paper placed in front of me... but the tablets are not as thin as that !

I don't know if a product of that type exists or will exist. One can always dream !

Thank you again fr your message. If you have ideas, I am will be very interested in !

It's very expensive, but would a cintiq possibly be what you're looking for?

http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen...iq/cintiq-12wx

That would sit on a desk and free your arms, making it so all that's in your hands is the stylus.

Hi Claudine! You could look at Genius Pen Mouse. It´s held like an ordinary pen but it is thick like an old Mont Blanc reservoire inkpen and that may be to an advantage. I myself find thin writing utensils causing more tension in my hand and wrist. This Pen mouse is 1200 dpi resolution and has three buttons. I´m just referring to what I´ve read online.. haven´t seen it myself but I´m tempted to see if I can find one for myself. Oh - it seems that the thing is for windows only..
    I think there are some more options from other manufacturers - I´ll come back with more if I find any.. (Genius Pen Mouse Carbon part no 31030049105)
    Last edited by n00b; 02-19-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Thank you nimajneb and n00b !

I have just seen Wacom site: I feel every stylus works with a tablet. Perhaps I think wrong.

Concerning the Genius Pen Mouse, the object is super but devoided of pression option. It is a little too bad.

Nevertheless, we must keep confidence ! That ideal stylus must be exist !

7. Wacom Inkling

Hi Claudine,
    I think you want the Wacom Inkling - http://www.wacom.com/products/mobile/inkling

It's basically a ball-point pen than records every line it makes for upload to a computer later on. It's not cheap though.

Thank you Drawman39.

It is not precisely what I am looking for, since it is also for painting, but that product is very interesting. It is going to give me ideas...
    Last edited by Claudine; 02-21-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Windows 10 - Surface
    ArtRage 5
    Draw and paint with a simple corded mouse.
    My gallery: http://500px.com/cb6973

Bien le bonjour Claudine,

When you say that you cannot use a tablet, do you mean a Tablet PC (or something like an iPad) where you write directly on the screen, or do you mean something like a Bamboo tablet which is connected to your computer? Have you explored both options? Maybe one of these two quite different options could allow you to position the drawing canvas adequately for you.

For more info about Bamboo Tablets, you can just search for "Bamboo tablet".
    As for Tablet PC's: there are many many of those, with a wide range of prices and characteristics. To get an idea of what they are about, maybe you can look into the very recent Microsoft Surface Pro (which seems to work well with ArtRage).

Also, you may be interested in the ArtRage Pen-Only Toolbar that Steve B and I have been working on. We specifically designed it to be able to use ArtRage more ergonomically with less movements. Whether you use it with a stylus or with a mouse, I think it can potentially help in reducing your movements. While we haven't updated it in a while (hopefully soon! we have made some very cool changes!) and hope to adapt it to ArtRage 4 as soon as we can (so for now some of the functions on the toolbar don't all work perfectly with AR4), maybe it could be of help to you. If you're interested, just look in the Art Supplies thread on this forum.
    Last edited by lblb; 02-22-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Bonjour lblb !Thank you for your message.

I use a desktop computer and a tablet PC MSI. Both of them function with a click-n-type virtual keyboard and a small and light cordless notebook mouse. This system suits me well because of my lack of mobility and problems of stiff neck (I can only see or read what is in front of me, otherwise I must use prism glasses to work and see what I am writing and reading on my desk.

I have forgotten to say I got a long time ago a Bamboo tablet… it stays in a drawer, definitely it is impossible for me to use it.

So yes, I am very very interested in ArtRage Pen-Only Toolbar. I hope it will allow me to find a system to simulate the pressure of a real stylus thanks to the mouse.

I am going to look in the Art Supplies at once, thank you for your help for handicapped people! (I am very upset with Adobe…)
    Last edited by Claudine; 02-23-2013 at 05:41 AM.
    Windows 10 - Surface
    ArtRage 5
    Draw and paint with a simple corded mouse.
    My gallery: http://500px.com/cb6973