ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First ArtRage Piece

My First ArtRage Piece

I have never painted before, but always wanted to learn. Well, let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beach scene 1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	73206

There are two approaches generally to doing a landscape. The first is much harder and sometimes less successful. And that is to paint photographically everything that's in the source photo (usually a photo). But it goes for plein aire location painting as well. There's value in doing this to learn. But it can be stifling and it may be producing a weak painting because the world does not always place things in the best way compositionally, and you may want to emphasize certain things over others. It could also interfere with your style, when style becomes something that interests you. For some a landscape is merely a departure point. Sometimes a halfway point. All depends on the artist and what they're about.

The other way, which you may already have guessed, is to be freer about what goes where, how it's lit and colored and so forth. There is a place where the materials and the artist set up a collaboration, which often makes something look great because the paint happens to blend 'just so' on it's own and it begins leading you. There are many artists here who do that. And if you're not doing a portrait of a famous landmark, then you can do almost anything that serves the picture. Painting people is a lot more demanding because we generally know what is correct and what is off even if it's subtle. Landscapes are forgiving. So it's a good subject to get your feet wet.

You're well on your way. And please above all have fun with it.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

scotchy, a lovely scene, so warm and peaceful

and all this time you had a knack for it! wow. that's a beauty for sure. love your use of color in this.

You are off to a great start...welcome to the forum!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Beautiful effects in the sky

You have gotten off to a very good start. The sky is lovely as is the sunset. I think you will truly enjoy using this program.

A really nice scene, welcome to the forum.
    Geoff

Thanks everyone one for the wonderful encouragement! I am totally digging AR4!!

Scotchy your painting makes me want to go there. Lovely!
    My personal blog Slices of my life.