ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR4 - Clone Tool

AR4 - Clone Tool

Can someone explain how the new Clone tool works. I looked at the help file but I still cannot figure it out.

No problem. Here's an example, let me know if you have any questions.

Make a stroke on the canvas with the tube paint tool
    Now select the clone tool.
    Click once on the stroke then paint at a different location with the clone tool.

You can use the clone tool to copy the original content to another location.

If you want to change the source for the clone tool ( where it's copying media from ), then hold down the alt key and click on the new location you want to copy from.

The new media created with the clone tool includes the properties of the original media, so paint thickness, wetness and so on gets copied along with the colour. This means that you can smear with the palette knife on the copied media for example just as you could on the soruce.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. That got me going but I am seeing some odd behavior. When I click I can then copy the paint and tool properties in the new area but the oddity is that the little cross hair stays on and the new area takes on the initial properties but as I move the cursor (either with my mouse of my Wacom stylus) it completely emulates the that is now being pointed to. I may not have made that very clear. But I made a stroke with the paint brush. I think clicked in the swatch created with the paint brush. When I started drawing in the new area the cross hair continued to be present and the new area emulated what ever area the cross hair was moving over. I assume I am still doing something wrong. I am also have some problem typing in this note because I cannot start a new line of text.

What you're describing sounds correct to me. There will be a crosshair on the original location as well as a different one where you're painting. The crosshair in the original location indicates where you're copying from. It will move as you paint. Let me know if that doesn't match what you're seeing, always possible I've misunderstood.

Note: If you copy from a source and paint really close to that source, then you're going to get the source and destination overlapping, then being copied again in case that's what you're seeing.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    What you're describing sounds correct to me. There will be a crosshair on the original location as well as a different one where you're painting. The crosshair in the original location indicates where you're copying from. It will move as you paint. Let me know if that doesn't match what you're seeing, always possible I've misunderstood.

Note: If you copy from a source and paint really close to that source, then you're going to get the source and destination overlapping, then being copied again in case that's what you're seeing.
    OK - I get it now. So if I want to repeat that in more than one location I need to use the Alt key to restart the cloning. I still am not sure I understand the three different settings I read about in the Help file but I will go back and reread. I do appreciate your quick response. Ill do not understand why I cannot create paragraphs when in "reply" mode hear. All works fine when I submit a new thread. I also want to pass along that I think some of the enhancements in AR4 were well worth the upgrade and would like to make a couple of suggestions for the Workbench for a future release (I really love that feature and think it comes pretty darn close to eliminating the need for the "add on" toolbar that if floating around).

That's odd regarding the lack of paragraphs on replies. Can you email me ( support@artrage.com ) with what web browser you're using and I can take a look at what addons you have installed to see if I can sort that out. It sounds like something to do with browser configuration or addons. Feel free to email me any suggestions you have as well. Great to hear you like the workbench!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    That's odd regarding the lack of paragraphs on replies. Can you email me ( support@artrage.com ) with what web browser you're using and I can take a look at what addons you have installed to see if I can sort that out. It sounds like something to do with browser configuration or addons. Feel free to email me any suggestions you have as well. Great to hear you like the workbench!
    Posting this reply to verify that what David Jenner put in place for me.

I can now add paragraphs while replying..........hope this helps your support team. I am TRULY appreciative.

Now if I could just figure out how to turn of the darn touch pad on my laptop with Windows 8 I would be one of the happiest people in your client base.