ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brush artifacts

Brush artifacts

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion about this. When I paint, the brush leaves behind artifacts on the screen. They go away when you move over them and the screen redraws, but they're distracting. The precise cursor tends to leave more. It was worse in Artrage Studio Pro 3.5, but still happens in 4.0. I think it's tied to my graphics card, my old one died and I replaced it with a GT 630, a cheap card and maybe I should just go with something better. Other system details: running Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

I've attached an example. It doesn't impact the final painting, it's just annoying. If there's something I can do to get rid of them that'd be great!

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artifacts.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	73185  

That's a pretty strange behavior. I doubt it relates to your vvideo card, so I wouldn't recommend replacing it. It's not something I have seen before, but if you could email me at support@artrage.com with the following information I can do some troubleshooting with you to try and track down what specifically it is in your configuration which is causing this.

-What operating system you're using
    -An example of a process which would cause it ( tool settings and a quick description of what you would do from a blank canvas )
    -What applications you have running in the background.

I should be able to help from there.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi, Dave and Ryan!

I have exactly the same problem with my setup:

Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit
    NVIDIA GTX 580 - Dual-Monitor.
    Wacom Cintiq 12WX

I have tried many different settings for Graphics at the NVIDIA control panel, with no luck.
    I am not sure what has happened because sometimes in the past everything worked fine.
    I also tried to downgrade graphics and tablet driver with no luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    When I select "WHOLE" canvas = "CTRL + A" - screen redraw? - also when I share my screen with Skype the problem is resolved in that particular screen, but not in the screen which is not shared.
    When I use application in "WINDOW mode" - problem is eliminated.

Problems occurs when application is in FULL SCREEN mode.

Every suggestion to eliminate this problem is welcome.

Toni Kasurinen
    www.tonikasurinen.fi

The cursor is rendered directly in to our main drawing surface so it shouldn't be a graphics card problem. We've not experienced this with a Cintiq here and I'm wondering if there's some kind of screen utility that is preventing draw updates from clearing the old cursor.

Could you let me know if this happens with the Precise Cursor turned on?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Same artifacts

Same artifacts with ArtRage 4 on my screen, running on windows XP.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Creativetone View Post
    Hi, Dave and Ryan!

When I use application in "WINDOW mode" - problem is eliminated.

Problems occurs when application is in FULL SCREEN mode.

Every suggestion to eliminate this problem is welcome.

Toni Kasurinen
    www.tonikasurinen.fi
    Thanks for mentioning this detail! Same thing here, when I switched to a window mode instead of full screen, no problem at all. I'd rather use the program full screen, but I'd prefer to use it without the issues with the brushes more. I've been very impressed with the improvements made to Artrage 4, and other than this one issue, am really enjoying it. I've been reading over the manual to learn more about the new features. Very cool.

Anyway, thanks again for the tip, and Dave, Matt, thanks for looking into the issue.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The cursor is rendered directly in to our main drawing surface so it shouldn't be a graphics card problem. We've not experienced this with a Cintiq here and I'm wondering if there's some kind of screen utility that is preventing draw updates from clearing the old cursor.

Could you let me know if this happens with the Precise Cursor turned on?
    Hi, Matt!
    Yes, it happens with the Precise Cursor turned on.

I noticed that ArtRage is not only program for me which gives this kind of screen artifacts:

ZBrush also gives some strange screen artifacts on startup,
    but all artifacts and issues go away, when switch to the window mode and then back to the full screen.

btw. I am using "DisplayFusion - multi-monitor utility"
    and before the test I shutdown that, and other possible processes and applications, which might cause the problems.

Toni
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ar_artifacts_on_full_screen_mode_64bitVista_NVIDIA.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	73261  

Thanks for the detailed information. Could anyone else experiencing this let me know if they are using DisplayFusion? We've run ArtRage on a multimonitor setup with a GTX580 without problems so it may be something relating to how DisplayFusion handles window updates - I've been doing some reading and it does seem that there are some issues there. If everyone seeing the problem is running it then that might give us somewhere to look.

If you aren't running DisplayFusion but you are seeing the problem, could you let me know whether a) You are using more than one monitor, and b) You have installed any utilities that relate to graphics, screens etc.?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I'm not running DisplayFusion, single monitor setup here. The only thing I've got running that has anything to do with the display is the standard NVIDIA control panel icon down in the tray. I updated to 4.0.1 today, still same experience if I run Artrage in full screen, and no problems at all when I run in a window.

Thanks for the info - Could you let me know which version of the nVidia drivers you're running and what the card is? I'll try playing around with the driver settings here to see if I can make the problem happen as well.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.