ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: [solved] Grain and roughness...

[solved] Grain and roughness...

Hi ,can anyone help...? I always draw with the paper at 0 grain and 0 roughness ,but in Artrage 4 I dont seem to be able to achieve this as the grain size is set at 50%...
    I am trying to create a completely smooth paper is this possible? thanks in advance

I also prefer working with zero grain and zero roughness. There are certain techniques I employ that work best with no grain or roughness. In ArtRage 4, turning off the canvas lighting seems to do the trick as far as grain size is concerned. Set the roughness to zero. That should work.

Hi Bobby, thanks for responding .I've tried what you said but I still get some grain...dont know if it's me ?
    unfortunately most of my drawings are done without any roughness and grain ,only because of the techniques I use. I suppose if it isn't possible to get a completely smooth paper I can always go back to 3.5...thanks again

Could it be this? In ArtRage 4, 0 roughness is in the middle of the slider. One can choose not only 100% grain, but also -100% grain. For some of my very rough grains, this gives me the option to change hills to valleys or vice-versa. With a grain like "Alien Skins" (who gave us that? was it you, Juz? It's great.) you can really see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sueellen View Post
    Could it be this? In ArtRage 4, 0 roughness is in the middle of the slider. One can choose not only 100% grain, but also -100% grain. For some of my very rough grains, this gives me the option to change hills to valleys or vice-versa. With a grain like "Alien Skins" (who gave us that? was it you, Juz? It's great.) you can really see the difference.
    Hi sueellen,thanks for replying.The grain slider starts at 50% and only goes upwards, its the roughness slider that goes back to _100%..

Oh, right. Sorry. That's what I meant. I am learning to write without referring to everything as a "dealy" or "doohickey", but sometimes I'm better off just calling everything a "thingamabob" or whatever instead of trying an actual word and using it in the wrong place. So Roughness: far left = hills and valleys, middle = smooth, far right = valleys and hills. Or something like that.

0% grain size in ArtRage 3 is a little misleading as it's not 0% grain, it's a just a small grain size. We've better represented grain size in Artrage 4 as a percentage of the original grain image source ( 50% grain size in Artrage 4 I believe is equivalent to 0% grain size in ArtRage 3 )

The size of the grain has no bearing on getting a perfectly smooth paper in Artrage 3 or 4. You can get a smooth paper by setting roughness to 0% regardless of grain size. At 0% roughness, changing the grain size will make not difference to the paper's appearance. You don't need to turn off lighting to get that effect.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I've misunderstood though.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    0% grain size in ArtRage 3 is a little misleading as it's not 0% grain, it's a just a small grain size. We've better represented grain size in Artrage 4 as a percentage of the original grain image source ( 50% grain size in Artrage 4 I believe is equivalent to 0% grain size in ArtRage 3 )

The size of the grain has no bearing on getting a perfectly smooth paper in Artrage 3 or 4. You can get a smooth paper by setting roughness to 0% regardless of grain size. At 0% roughness, changing the grain size will make not difference to the paper's appearance. You don't need to turn off lighting to get that effect.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I've misunderstood though.
    Hi Dave,many thanks for that.I've just tried what you have written and it seems to work perfectly. I had the setting at -100% perhaps this is where I was going wrong!!
    thanks again.

No problem! Regarding -100% grain roughness, we used to do this will a + / - toggle next to the roughness slider in ArtRage 3, but decided to wrap it into the same slider in 4 so you can go from -100% to +100%. I forgot to mention that!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design