ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crayon in ar4

Unhappy Crayon in ar4

Where is the oil crayon in AR4?

Look into the "Pastel" tool. It has the settings same as the crayon and chalk.

Hi

There is virtually no difference on any of them no matter what settings there is

Mic

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Look into the "Pastel" tool. It has the settings same as the crayon and chalk.
    Ok thanks , maybe they must change the icon also.

The Crayon and Chalk tools were always really similar, which is why we collapsed them in to a single tool (and filled in the gap with the cloner). Because we also added the Softness option to the Chalk mode of the Pastel (which Chalk in AR4 never had) it's also harder to tell them apart sometimes.

Name:  WaxvChalk.png
Views: 415
Size:  188.9 KB

The difference between Wax and Chalk Pastel is illustrated in this (admittedly non arty) sample. Wax pastels smear slightly, they leave a tiny amount of volume on the canvas that has its own internal consistency. If you look at the intersection of the red and blue strokes, then the green and blue strokes, you'll see the wax pastel is slightly translucent, and in the green in particular you can see the direction of the stroke has left some stronger green smudges.

Chalk on the other hand is a dusty medium, it doesn't hold itself together the way wax does, and it interacts differently with other pigment on the canvas. On the right you can see the same colours and the interactions of the strokes. The chalk 'coats' the canvas and blocks the colour beneath it, and doesn't smear the way the wax pigment does.

So there you go: Two very similar tools that we collapsed in to one in order to make room.

Hope that makes sense!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

One thing I would like to add. Try using them with textured paper. You will surely get the effects you are after and see some amazing interaction by doing that. They really come alive when you use a textured paper and in conjunction with other mediums as well.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-14-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
    Hi

There is virtually no difference on any of them no matter what settings there is

Mic
    I disagree. To easily see the difference, select pure white and use the fill tool to fill a layer completely. Set the Pastel tool to use "Wax" at 15% pressure, and 90% softness. Now draw a single line down the canvas that you filled. Now set the Pastel tool to use "Chalk", but don't change anything else on the settings panel. Make another single stroke on the canvas. The wax smears into the white. The chalk covers it.

For example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	majordifference.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	73156
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

So is it possible to make the wax effect (smearsing) with the new chalk?

I like the preset for that first wax smearing. I did not know it would make a gradation like that. that looks very cool. That is because of the white fill? I guess I will play some more.
    Michal, you are clicking the toggle on the settings panel to change from chalk to crayon?
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-14-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    I like the preset for that first wax smearing. I did not know it would make a gradation like that. that looks very cool. That is because of the white fill? I guess I will play some more.
    Michal, you are clicking the toggle on the settings panel to change from chalk to crayon?
    I must test it later on the demo of ar4. ( For the upgrade i dont have the money at this moment)
    But thanks for the tip screenpainter I use the crayon a lot.