ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: River goddess

River goddess

The hair flows from ancient Chinese river drawings, and the face could be one of Beardsley's Rheingold maidens ... iPhone 4, ink and pencil ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

An interesting lady, Pete

iPhone 4 this time? You have the full line of iPhones to play around with it sounds like.

I like that you have basically made this woman's hair to be analogous to the currents in a river. At least that's what I'm seeing. Pre-Raphaelites certainly got into flowing long hair -- one of the things I admired most about how descriptive it was in indicating femininity in full no matter whether they were in suits of armor or floating languidly in a punt among a lily pads.

And in your choice of Beardsley and with your faint descriptive white lines in the hair, it sort of points to a goddess in river aspect and a comparison between flowing water and hair.

Plus Beardsley was a black and white kinda guy which matches in a way your exploration of ink.

Thoughtful and educated.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

hi jean, she's some sort of time-traveler, at least that's what she told me D Akey, I think I mentioned earlier that I have a "desktop" iPhone (4) and a "mobile" iPhone 5 ... for this portrait, I had to go with the desktop version for stability ...
    Artrage Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by chinapete View Post
    D Akey, I think I mentioned earlier that I have a "desktop" iPhone (4) and a "mobile" iPhone 5 ... for this portrait, I had to go with the desktop version for stability ...
    Yes I saw that before but I'm not clear on what you mean by 'desktop'. Does that mean since you have upgraded you have one for real phone use and the retired one is sitting on your desk for features other than the phone? Or is there more to it than that? Is is somehow hooked into the computer and thus the phone provides you with more powerful functioning?

I know little to nothing about the iPhone features let alone hacks. I've only just learned to synch iTunes with it and very recently started downloading apps for it.

So far I've only really tested my iPhone 3 for stress by putting it under the wheels of a moving New Jersey cab. It failed. 'Desktop' would be safer.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

oh, I see ... when I upgraded to an iPhone 5, ATT "retired" my iPhone 4 and transferred the service to the new phone, and because I use the iPhone heavily for ArtRage, I thought I wouldn't recycle the 4, I'd continue to use it and save a little wear and tear on the 5 ... the iPhone 5 is noticeably lighter , so I call it my "mobile" version, and of course it's also my phone

Also very much appreciate your thinking through the River Goddess, I'm sure the Pre-Raphaelites got Beardsley's attention with that long flowing hair -- a coded sign for bedtime, when hair was let down ... So you're right about that ... I mentioned the Rheingold maidens because that's also an allusion to a river, so she's a double-river goddess in fusion form
    Artrage Gallery

Pete,
    this reminds me very much of Japanese Notan work. Really love the hair/river flow concept!

hi Lindae, thanks for the comment ... I began this drawing as water flowing against a pure black background, I'm looking at a lot of Chinese woodblock prints ... After a while, maybe because I was drawing from top to bottom, the patterns began to look like hair flowing down one side of a face ... We usually say of hair that it flows, but I don't think anyone would like to be told, Hey, your hair looks like Niagara Falls today! ... But I liked the idea, and kept it ... I don't know of any uses of hair flowing like water in literature or in painting, do you? There is Ophelia in the river in Hamlet, but that's a little too morbid, and not at all what I had in mind ...
    Last edited by chinapete; 02-14-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Artrage Gallery