ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Drawing hair

Drawing hair

Name:  Taylor2.png
Views: 1087
Size:  253.6 KB
    This is Taylor, one of those very rare people who is beautiful inside and out. She teaches kindergarten ages in Sunday school (my wife and I do 5th grade girls). I decided to use this pic as a reference image as it's better than using mug shots from http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taylor.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	73070
    Yes, I'm getting to the point finally. I'm wondering how most people draw hair? It takes me forever and it seems there should be more than one way to do it. I know the colors aren't right but that's a topic for later. Someone like Taylor should be drawn by a pro, not a schmuck like me. She saw it and seems to think it was good but I don't. It seems like if I didn't spend massive amounts of time on hair it would give me more time for the rest. I do most of my drawing late at night while I listen to some decent music. If I take too long on a drawing it's morning before I know it and I've been up all night.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/

I know I messed up her mouth too.

I'd recommend selecting a range of colors that contrast each other enough that you can visible differentiate them, even if they put into gray scale. Take the image below, for example:

Name:  Taylor_colors.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  3.7 KB

The colors in row "A" are samples taken from the image of Taylor. Row "B" is the same colors, only converted to gray scale, where you can see the visual steps they take from dark to light. By sticking only to these few colors, you can then block in the light and dark masses seen in her hair as highlights and shadows (as shown on the left side of the image below). I used the airbrush for this step, but you could always use the pencil to shade in the areas as well. Once you've filled in these shapes, you can then blend them together, and add stray hairs (shown on the right side of the image below).

Edit - Just wanted to note that I used one of my Sticker Spray presets for most of "Pencil" lines, rather then the default Pencil tool in AR. I had intended to use AR's Pencil, and did start with it, but inadvertently switched over at some point. I've grown so accustomed to using the Sticker Spray while sketching things, muscle memory took over and I ended up using my shortcut for the Sticker Spray without noticing.

Name:	Taylor_Hair.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	73073
    Last edited by Someonesane; 02-12-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

That makes sense, I'll try a few that way. Thanks.

Another great mini-tute, someone sane. Thanks gms for asking the question us beginners need to have answered. Your boldness in trying new stuff is opening a wealth of info for us learners.
    My personal blog Slices of my life.

Well, I won't make any claim to be even an amateur at this. I still feel that I don't have any talent for this, I just really like doing it.

I like the proportions of her face very much. You're not a schmuck. You love drawing, that's half of the 'battle' won. Doing it a lot will help and great tutorials and lovely ppl like someonesane who explain things will teach you techniques you can play with. I genuinly think she was very flattered by your drawing, so don't give up!

Thanks, I know, it's just a matter of time and practice, I'm just really critical of myself.

Taylor redux

I drew her again, using partially your method and partially experimenting. I know her hair is lighter than the pic but I drew her closer to the way she really is. Her hair is a very light blonde so my variance from the photo is intentional. I should have made her eyebrows a bit lighter and obviously I have a lot to learn about mouths and teeth. One thing at a time though. On looking at it now, it was 4:30 this morning when I declared it finished, I see that I still need some darker spots.

Name:	Taylors v2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	73414