ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Portrait in red and black chalk

Portrait in red and black chalk

... still at the PAM, admiring renaissance stuff ... AR on iPhone 5 with pencil on tinted paper ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Nice one Pete. (by the way, you mean Pacific American Museum? Pan American Museum? Post Apocalyptic Museum? Pamela Anderson's Mum's for tea? Wearing Puff Adder Moccasins? Lots of room for interpretation with minimalism.)

Actually this has a very classical feel loosely with a Continental Europe flavor - a kind of feel of red conte crayon on toned paper. I like the allusion. Often times for the Getty museum here they have banners that they hang along some boulevards from lamp posts that are very long and vertical that are announcing a particular show there. And they frequently blow up a detail of a representative masterwork in drawings often times owing to how well the limited color works in the printing process. And this has some of that kind of "a small taste of. . ." something grand and larger feel.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You are becoming one of my favorite artists here. I love how you impart so much with seemingly so little effort. And by "seemingly" I mean just the opposite. Your works are obviously well thought out and the product of diligent research and study.

Hi RSW, thank you, I'm grateful for your interest ... I may have written elsewhere that I go about it much as a sculptor would, taking away from what is there until only what should be there, is ...

D Akey, it's the Paranormal Art Museum, I thought everyone knew that, hehe ... Do you live close enough to the Getty to be able to visit often? ... It was my favorite place to be when I lived in the Palisades (Pacific, not Hudson River) ...
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Quote Originally Posted by chinapete View Post
    D Akey, it's the Paranormal Art Museum, I thought everyone knew that, hehe ... Do you live close enough to the Getty to be able to visit often? ... It was my favorite place to be when I lived in the Palisades (Pacific, not Hudson River) ...
    Oooh yeah. I loved Madame Blatsky's ectoplasm assemblage of dripping clocks made from MacDonalds milkshake extender. WooooHoooooo!!!!!!

Yeah, there are now 2 Getty museums here. The one you probably loved, which I do as well, was the one on PCH (Paranormal Creature Highway) which was something of a replica of a villa in Herculaneum. But they build a grand new one off the 405 and Sunset. They're both a hassle with parking and not the kind of place one goes to on a whim because of it, sadly. I haven't been to either in years. I could be wrong, but I think they have the PCH one dedicated to Greek and Roman antiquities. You could probably Google it to know for sure.

Palisades huh? Beautiful and lots of good oxygen.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream