ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever tried this? 3D pair (Hollyhocks again).

Anyone ever tried this? 3D pair (Hollyhocks again).

I thought the nature of this painting might lend itself to 3D, so I had a go at it by separating-out and shifting layers slightly. It seems to work pretty well, though it's not perfect. If you can do it with your eyes, you'll get a 3D effect when you merge the two images together. The middle one will be 3D. You need to go cross-eyed just the right amount. It can give you a bit of a headache if you're not careful! Have fun!

Name:  hollyhocks 3d pair small.png
Views: 1025
Size:  426.8 KB

All I got was crossed eyes! I'll have another go later.

,,,, HI Can you tell me how to unfix my eye's

Very cool. It only took me a second to see it, being accustomed to Magic Eye images. I'd like to read up on how you managed to do it. Would you have any specific links about the process?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

It's a no go for me as I only have one eye that works but it looks nice

Sorry, couldn't see it but I love the picture!

You might want to do another version to help Mr Ploos uncross his eyes -- the antidote series.

I couldn't get it to work either. But it took me a while to get those magic eye images to work back when they first hit the scene. Maybe in time. Cool idea.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Sorry, can't fix or unfix anyone's eyes. Should have put a health warning on there. However, Someonesane, I'm glad at least you could do it.

It's actually not difficult to do. What you're doing is reworking one of the images to make it appear to have been viewed from a very slightly different viewpoint than the original, which remains unchanged. To do this, you need to make a second copy of the original, and it needs to be in layers. If your work is not in layers, you can separate it out by copying the image into several new layers and then deleting the irrelevant parts of each one. So, if you have sky, field and tree, each of those gets its own layer.

When you have your separate layers, placed in order from background to foreground, all you have to do is slightly shift the contents of each. The rearmost layer (sky in this case) stays where it is. You then shift the next layer forward a little to the left. The next layer gets shifted a little more than the last, and the next one a little more still. That way, the closer to the observer the layer, the more it will have shifted.

When you're done, save the second image, butt it up against the original et voilą! 3D. If it doesn't work, you'll probably have gotten the images the wrong way round, so swap the left and right, and you should be in business.

What you have here is not quite true 3D. It's more like a series of cardboard cut-outs as the parallax is stepped in layers, rather than constantly varying from observer to infinity as the eye would see it; but it's close.

It's worth mentioning that it's important not to leave any unpainted areas as these will show up once you start shifting the layers!

I've always loved 3D ever since I had a Viewmaster 3D film viewer when I was a kid.

Have fun going screwy-eyed!

T61
    Last edited by Tommo61; 02-10-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo61 View Post
    I thought the nature of this painting might lend itself to 3D, so I had a go at it by separating-out and shifting layers slightly. It seems to work pretty well, though it's not perfect. If you can do it with your eyes, you'll get a 3D effect when you merge the two images together. The middle one will be 3D. You need to go cross-eyed just the right amount. It can give you a bit of a headache if you're not careful! Have fun!

Name:  hollyhocks 3d pair small.png
Views: 1025
Size:  426.8 KB
    If you flip one horizontally you will get the mirror effect but would also lead to a continuing design over and over again.

Thanks Tommo61, that explanation was very clear. I'm wondering if the others are having trouble seeing it because they lead with their other eye? For example, if I point at a distant object and then close my left eye, my finger will appear to be directly over the object still. However, if I close my right eye my aim will appear to shift away from the intended target (off to the right). If the others use their left eye for targeting, their aim would shift left. Perhaps that's why some of the others members can't see the effect?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.