ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Drawing with tablet looks awful

Drawing with tablet looks awful

Hello!

I am using a tablet with ArtRage as recommended. Painting (watercolor, oil, airbrush) with the tablet looks good, the problem is pencil drawing. The pencil sketches I do with real pencils on real paper look much better. With the tablet I canīt even draw a circle. Everything looks like drawn by a small child.

I think the problem is my brain/eye. When I draw in real, I look at the sheet I am drawing on and my eyes follow the lines I am drawing. But with the tablet I draw on it but my eyes look at the screen. It feels a bit like drawing blind. Since tablet drwing/painting is new to me, I have one question:

Will this get better with time or will this always be a problem? What are your experiences?

Wink

It gets better.

Check out my work on my gallery: http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/23895

I never used a tablet before either, I had to practice using it, then I had to practice using ArtRage. After a couple of weeks and a handful of drawings, I created my own pencils and palette knives and I progressed rather quickly.

Just give yourself some time and you will get the hang of it.

Lots of links in this post re pencils and shading in the Supply thread

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ls-for-shading

I think you need to work towards confident strokes, with nice clean sweeps. Using 'Smoothing' in Pencil and Ink Pen will give your lines a less clumsy look. The level of that can be adjusted.

Your brain needs to learn a whole new skill, and will adjust to your hand being elsewhere while your eye is watching the screen.

Just practice and more practice.

tehnique

maybe this can help... find a beautifull lady, ask her to stay still and fix your eyes into her's, now let your hands work on her body (with her permission of course). You'll see in her eyes if you are doing it right

Thanks for all your answers and suggestions. Yes, practise is a very important thing. I see that every day.

Another thing I found out is that my tablet was not working well. Only the center area of it was active, so a short stroke on the tablet caused a very long stroke on the screen. This felt very unnatural. But I was able to solve this problem and now it works much better.