ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No thorns here

No thorns here

Did these two for a challenge over at WC , I eyeballed 2 references and somehow the petals are a litlle rearranged

Name:  rose_bud2.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  46.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I must say that I love them both, but second one really sings to me probably because of the clarity of form which I personally like in my own paintings. On that level it's perfect!

Love the composition, the detail, the angle and the attention to the character of the bits you put in, like the edges of the leaves. And those petals are out of this world. The form really reads with depth and clarity. I'm impressed! Brava!!!!!

The first one is also beautiful and very feminine. But there's isn't as much volume description, but there is another quality that sort of transcends that consideration when I get in and explore it.

Very fine work all around!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You've succeeded in conveying a feeling of tender petals and I can even see translucency spat their ends...can be very difficult to do! Lovely.

jean, I think D Akey is right to emphasize the forms, and I want to put in a word for the color , actually, something Ruskin wrote: "The gradations of colour exhibit form, and therefore only a great colourist can ever draw forms perfectly" ...

Ruskin's Elements of Drawing, first published in 1856, always worth reading
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Thanks DA,I always appreciate your input . I thought the second rose was a really beautiful image and perhaps that came through ? the first did not hit me with as much feeling

Lindae, thanks for your lovely comment

Pete, thanks for your comments also and I have marked down Ruskins name to see what I can find

Quote Originally Posted by justjean View Post
    Pete, thanks for your comments also and I have marked down Ruskins name to see what I can find
    I also looked it up. Here's a free download. Click on the bit at the left and download your choice from several formats. I downloaded the pdf file. Apparently there are 2 books by him there -- one on drawing and one on perspective. Both books are in one file:

http://archive.org/details/perspectiveele00ruskuoft
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks DA but I already bought a copy, I hate reading on my ereader or my IPad I like to hold a book while I'm reading, to many years of reading hand held books I guess

D Akey, archive.org is one of my favorite sources, but I'm weird like that :-) jean, I hope you won't be disappointed, it was written for a different time and place, but the elements of drawing don't change all that much, and I find Ruskin easy to read ... He was the 19th c. art critic who did the most to promote JMW Turner's romantic paintings, it was hard work to convince the public that such radical painting one day would become the norm

ps in the Dover edition, the phrase I quoted can be found in section III: On Colour, in a footnote on p157
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Jean, these are very beautiful, like both of them

Theses are lovely Jean, great colours you used.
    Geoff