ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Sunset

Sunset

My first paintings. Feedback Comments wanted please.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	72641

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1111.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	72642
    Last edited by ken; 01-29-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Very nice

The colors are wonderful and I like the scenes.

Wonderful and promising first offerings. More please.

Ideal settings. Great inspiration for paintings. Well done.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Great colours and such peaceful paintings, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Oh, I just now see you wanted feedback so I'll add to what I said earlier. It's really great for a first go. I think what may make it yet more interesting is to not make so much of your painting flat black. I mean it's fine and features shape as the main ingredient, like old silhouette cut outs of profiles like cameos back in the Victorian times where the shape is what it's all about. And photographs often do what you're doing by making large areas black, owing to the lens keying in on the lighter area and thus having most (all?) of shadow detail drop out.

However, if you want to take it somewhere further, you can consider lighting the black areas ever so slightly where we can see some of the character of the shapes. For example, you could turn the tree trunk with a little gentle rim lighting, and so on. And the shore could be hinted at.

If you're not able to yet invent much, you can putter and see what you can get to happen as you fill those areas in.

As to the color in those areas, when the sun is down and there is no direct light on an object, you may consider that the light would be picked up from the sky. So you could mess around with hints of whichever of the colors in the sky that seems to work for your tastes.

You don't necessarily want to destroy the effect of the silhouette with lots of info, but in the past I have found that putting in information, even if it's invented, adds something. Your challenge would be to assess how much. Less is more. But flat black is maybe too little, depending on how it looks when you try it. It's not something that would be easy to test in traditional medium because you can't toggle layers on and off. In traditional art, you paint it, it's there unless you paint it out.

These paintings work great as they are though. But experimenting on layers that you can keep or throw away is a way to safely explore without permanently modifying your painting. You may find some value in the process.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Terrific first works! You should be very encouraged to keep going! I also thin that a like variation in the black areas might be satisfying and add some depth to the scene. You can keep the values darker so they don't distract from the star of the show, but still serve to add some interest. I also like to create colorful blacks rather than the flat black, varying with cool blue-black, green-black and, in warmer areas, re-blacks. It's worth experimenting maybe on a layer or copy. Again, very nice work on these!