ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lofty mountains ...

Lofty mountains ...

Continuing adventures in classical Chinese landscape ... This is modeled on the monumental style Northern Song landscape paintings in hanging scroll format, such as those by Fan Kuan (fl. 9901020) and Guo Xi (c.1020-1090) ... They thought that a landscape painting was something not be observed from the outside but to be lived from within ...

iPad 3, imported rice paper tinted in a layer to resemble discolored ancient silk, watercolor with opacity reduced to imitate faded inks, pencil set at 0 width to capture a calligraphic line across a textured surface (foreground) ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

I admire the journey you've set for yourself. Very Zen.
    This is an admirable way-post.

Thanks again, RSW ... The word "journey" takes me back to Hesse (is he still being read, I wonder), especially those passages where he talks about painting ... Klingsor's Last Summer features an Expressionist painter; Journey to the East contains a brief haiku-like poem dedicated to Paul Klee, and in Magister Ludi, the apprentice Joseph Knecht visits the "Bamboo Grove," where his Chinese mentor initiates him into the mysteries of the hexagrams ... The Bamboo Grove, we are told, was laid out as a "Chinese dwarf garden" -- in that garden, they would sit together in early evening and contemplate the "gleam of twilight on the mountain peaks" ...
    Artrage Gallery

The black at the bottom makes it. Intriguing in its minimalism, even though the marks look as if painted with a sponge or even a single swipe of a terra cotta color cont crayon on toned paper. I like it.

Still reminds me of rocks in a cave by firelight. A primeval blank canvas found within the mountain where it is a view of what it is from without. Takes on a sort of existential consciousness tack of the Eye not being able to see itself. . . but we certainly have speculated over the centuries. . .

Feels like a totally unique tack to get to the mountain top that had been gotten to in the old days through washes and brushwork (I assume).
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Your experiments and Your Chinese artistic sensitivity are full of grace and quite interesting to move our most delicate inner chords.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Evocative of strength, resilience, and patience, all the while exuding an air of tranquility. Love it CPete.

I like the format, it really emphasizes the height of the distant mountain, and the aged silk colors and faded inks are expertly done, your keen eye for color and nuance have worked magic here... such peace exudes from this.

Pete, one can imagine themself to be sitting on a outcrop of rock inside that mountian and just drinking in the beauty and wonder of it all .

thanks for the kind comments everyone (and hi Caesar!) ...

I'm showing this exploded view of the stone outcropping at the foot of the mountain to illustrate one stage in the progression of "Lofty Mountains" -- actually, the final stage, because the stones were drawn in a moment of realization: they had to be there, it was kind of a zen thing ...

You can also see that one consequence of inspiration is that the facade of the mountain, which extends down behind the rocks, actually is visible through them ... This can be considered a "pentimento" (trace of an underdrawing or graphic element that shows up in the final painting, but shouldn't) ...

In the final version, much of the stone outcropping has been, well, cropped, and I added a few "dian" (dot) strokes to strengthen contours ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Artrage Gallery

Once again it is simplicity and elegance. Great!

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========