ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White lotus: aquatint

White lotus: aquatint

This very small graphic is a first step towards the imitation of aquatint techniques using basic AR watercolor and graphic tools on the iPad, with the addition of a simulated rice paper ground ... Aquatint combines etching and watercolor, usually there are large areas of relatively flat color enhanced by cross-hatching or similar graphic treatment ... Rembrandt, Degas, etc. ...

Here I'm relying on a painting of the same title ("White Lotus") by Qian Xuan (钱选 1235-1305) for line and wash treatments ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 01-27-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Beautiful. Would make a gorgeous rice paper pane in a Japanese door or maybe they have them in China as well. It so looks like a place for a Haiku poem or some words from the Tao Te Ching. Has an elegance to it combined with nature. Very nice piece.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

chinapete, what an elegant piece, I love the soft grays , very complex yet simple in design...and the size!... seems quite a bit larger than most others? from your iPad and cropped?

Ethereal. You're so creative.

thanks to all for the comments ... gary, is the image too large? ... I've given up trying to coordinate among platforms ... copespeak, I'd say I'm more terrified than creative ... "terrified" in the positive sense of "being in awe of" ... D Akey, I happened to be re-reading Basho, the 17th c. Japanese haiku poet, his account in poetry and prose of his travels through northern Japan, sometimes the title is given as Narrow Road to the Deep North ... So you must have been looking over my shoulder .. For the design, I think you might recognize a little of the style of Ellsworth Kelly, his line drawings, which I really admire ... as an aside, I think our very own Steve B on this forum draws like that
    Artrage Gallery

My first thought was: What a perfect example of "Less is More."
    My second thought was: If I still wrote actual letters on actual paper, I'd want this printed on it.
    My third thought was: What a perfect example of "Less is More."
    More circular logic than haiku I suppose but a compliment none-the-less.

Really beautiful.

I like the idea of a haiku:

In the mist is the lotus
    The light breaks through
    We see it all the same

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

What a fine peice of artwork evoking the feeling of peace.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks RSW ... my whole life has been built on circular logic ... trying to return to a place of origin, a primitive line, maybe that's why the principle "less is more" is so appealing, much of the journey is a distraction and it's best to be as unburdened as possible ... what was Frodo carrying, not much, right? ...

Brett, thank you for the gift of the haiku, I see you also embrace the idea that less is more, since you've shortened the traditional long second line of the haiku when written in English, and the images in it go way beyond the words ...if only the drawing were that concise ...

coops, I feel a lot more peaceful now that the anxiety of misplaced brushstrokes is behind me ...
    Artrage Gallery

love the Asian feel of this. very pretty piece.