ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: ArtRage / MacbookPro Retina

ArtRage / MacbookPro Retina

Hi guys,

Is anyone currently using ArtRage on the (somewhat recent) MacbookPro with Retina display? As I evaluate Macbook models (Retina and non-Retina), would love to know how ArtRage is both functioning and looking on the MacbookPro with Retina display...some basic questions:

1) "How much RAM do I need?" is of course such a common question. But really, how much? I'm def gonna have at least 8GB of RAM, the question is if 16GB worth going to, or overkill? Aside from ArtRage, I'd be bouncing around to other applications, such as Photoshop and Illustrator.

2) With ArtRage, I intend to often paint at 10" x 15", at 300 DPI print resolution. Original comic book art size, emulating real-life illustration board.

3) I know that for the iPad, with the 1.4 release that the ArtRage interface supports Retina display iPads at full resolution. So, question is, is ArtRage supported yet (or will be soon) for the MacbookPro with Retina display? Or does the ArtRage interface currently look so-so on the MacbookPro with Retina display(?)

Thanks, most appreciated!

D

Hi Digger,
    Well I can't answer for the Retina Display but I do use a 2011 MacbookPro (see my signature below)
    Before I go further I would say unless you need computing portability, consider a desktop system if you are going to be doing a lot graphics work.

More important with Artrage than RAM will be a fast CPU (but you will never have one fast enough to match your speed of thought, no matter what you buy!)
    I mostly work at A3 @300dpi as well or sometimes A4 in AR and at A3 size some of Artrage's computing can take a second or two with my CPU but once you get to know Artrage you get into a rhythm of working with it I've found.
    If you like to work fast and furious then this might be an issue for you and a desk top would offer faster CPU options.

As for RAM, Artrage isn't overly hungry for it and I manage just fine with 8GB (but it can never hurt to have more!)
    Extra RAM is also something that is very easy to fit yourself later, as need and money permit, and for a lot less than Apple would charge you.

And the display, well screen size IMO would be more important than it being a Retina Display or not, which is why I use a second 22"HD monitor, rather than the laptop screen, it's just too small for me.

Hope this helped a bit in your decision making and remember what setup works for one person dosn't for another. For me what I have now is working fine but had I the money, I'd get a desktop setup as well as the MacbookPro but then how long before the next bigger, faster computer? It's a race we just can't win!!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Thanks Mark!

Yes, I do need the portability with a machine, and for the time being won't have a desktop as well as a laptop...so laptop is the way to go for now. I'm already on an (aging) Dell laptop with a 15" screen and manage okay with the screen size. I've been using Photshop and Illustrator on this sized screen for a while, but probably in the future will buy a nice big external monitor...just not immediately.

Anyway, with the MacbookPro Retinas, the RAM is actually soldered into the machine, so they highly, highly recommend do not mess with it -- if you want 16GB of RAM in your Retina, you have it put in there when ordering. If I do go Retina, I'm def going 16 RAM in it...

...but what I'm comparing this against is a non-Retina 2012 Macbook, and starting with just 8 RAM in it -- as the non-Retina is more friendly to adding RAM down the road.

Thanks again...anyone out there actually using ArtRage on a MacbookPro Retina?

D

We run ArtRage on a Retina Macbook pro and it works well. The interface has not been reconstructed at 2x resolution but the application still works fine.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks Matt!

- Any ETA on when the interface will be reconstructed for Macbook Retina screen?

- Can you provide your thoughts on RAM (8GB vs. 16 GB), and also CPU (2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 vs. 2.6 or 2.7).

Most appreciated,

D

We don't have an ETA at this time but we've been working on a bunch of things that will allow us to do this so it will happen.

Regarding RAM - As ArtRage is currently 32 bit it will work pretty much the same in 8 or 16 Gb environments, depending on how many other applications you have open. Processor speed is the main ingredient for fast painting speed as our calculations for texture and other paint properties are focused on the processor.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks Matt, that's very helpful...thanks again!

D