ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Beginner Question on finding the right technique

Beginner Question on finding the right technique

Hi all,

I am new to (digital) painting and are very overwhelmed by the possibilities of the artrage program.
    Because of this I hope to find some advice by the experienced users:

Which painting type (oil, watercolor, airbrush) I should focus on practicing if I plan to paint detailed, gloomy landscapes for example as seen in the artrage usergallery of Bluindigo - the painting with the lake in the middle.
    (I am sorry the forum didnt let me post a direct link.)

I would be glad if someone could drop me a hint, oh and sorry for my bad english, its not my foreign language :-)

Thank you in advance!
    Herm

Bluindigo certainly does beautiful work. If you are new to AR, I would advise just practice and experiment until you find a method that works for you. There are so many combinations you can use that will achieve a detailed finish like that. You can fill-bucket a base colour, block in different areas with another tool, soften edges with crayon, blend with the knife, oil paint and watercolour wash areas.... just get in there and play. You will find a way.

My advice is to never limit yourself to a single tool or mindset. Every tool works differently to produce a unique effect. Those effects may be needed to attain specific results in the same painting. My first thoughts, from seeing that users images (and I'm not 100% sure he only used ArtRage for them), is that the Oil brush and Crayon were predominately used. But I see a lot of smaller details that could've been assisted by other tools like the Ink Pen, Felt Pen, or Sticker Spray tools. There may even be some blending involved from the Palette Knife.

My stuff isn't quite as epic as his work, but here's an example using the Oil Brush and Crayon as the main tools, with some Palette Knife, and Sticker Sprays thrown in, here and there.

Link in case the video below doesn't embed correctly.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi all,

thank you for your helpful responses,
    I took some time practicing what you said, I also purchased this Artrage Tutorial DVD (at a discount, hehe) which has been mentioned at another newbie thread and improved a good bit considering I started with minus 10 skill ;-)

Nevertheless Someonesane I am worlds beyond even understanding of what you did on your speedpainting, how you used the layers and why, how you created this "light" effect, how you painted the tree and the other plants (or better asked, how you did it to look very mystical, my repaintings of your tree-picture look just shallow and boring in comparison).

The video is much to fast for me to grasp these details, even with abusing the pause function :-)
    I know its to much to ask for a hint how to paint something like this but maybe you have explained this to someone else in the past and have a link at hand?

Any help is greatly appreciated :-)

Herm

Can someone tell me what music is playing in that video please??
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

Quote Originally Posted by moosie View Post
    Can someone tell me what music is playing in that video please??
    I have it displayed in the description for the video. It's called "Time" and is from the Inception Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you sir
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

Thank you for hijacking my thread ;-)