ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Wavy lines - please !

Wavy lines - please !

Hi! i am n00b (really - I am..)
    Is there a way to make a drawing using ink or pencil of different linewidths, where the lines appear "wavy" so to speak. Like in an architechts handdrawn sketch? The ideal would be some randomness to the waves to give the drawing a more casual look.

Im guessing Spraying Stickers or something like that. Im just not that experienced user yet so Im hoping someone a lot more clever than me already have done it?

Im doing this in Sketchup but I long for the "freedom" in ArtRage...

Attachment 72550

Practice! Just done freehand in pencil. Or you can use the ink pen and adjust the 'smoothing' to where it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by n00b View Post
    Hi! i am n00b (really - I am..)
    Is there a way to make a drawing using ink or pencil of different linewidths, where the lines appear "wavy" so to speak. Like in an architechts handdrawn sketch? The ideal would be some randomness to the waves to give the drawing a more casual look.

Im guessing Spraying Stickers or something like that. Im just not that experienced user yet so Im hoping someone a lot more clever than me already have done it?

Im doing this in Sketchup but I long for the "freedom" in ArtRage...

I have a feeling I know what you're looking for. I've used Sketchup before (I created a mockup of a gallery space and the furnishings for it, so I could set it up without all the heavy lifting). I figure you're looking to get a tool that makes a wobbly line, even when you're using the straight line Ctrl+Drag feature, yeah?

You could probably do something with Sticker Spray. I'm not sure how random you'll be able to get the wobble. I've made a set of presets for doing a sort Spirograph effect. by offsetting the dot on the sticker sheet, and then setting the rotation for the sticker to move in sequence, the dot slowly orbits the center point (the point your cursor is at), giving a kind of cos/sin wave to line. The problem is it wouldn't be random; Just wobbly.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank You!! Exactly what I was looking for, offset and rotation - I didnt even know where to begin. Now I think I do..
    I studied your excellent Sketch Brushes since I posted the question and I have a little more understanding now of how to create alternatives of lines. Maybe combining freehand-smoothed with Sticker Spray to get a little variation, could be used to emphasize perspective with lines going smoother into VP-direction... This software seems to be another "monkey-trap" like SketchUp - and a very nice forum too...
    Last edited by n00b; 01-26-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Here's how to set up a "squiggly" line using the sticker "mossy 2" (though I can't remember if this is a standard one or if I got it from some package).
    Using a ruler and going heavy on the pen pressure at start and end will give you a variant of those "architect lines" (see image).
    In the image below I had the tool size at about 7%. For painting I'd probaly check "Auto flatten" as well.

Edit: I don't have any canvas texture on. Using that alone and a chalk could perhaps give something similar with a coarse grain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how-to_squiggly line.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	72571
    Last edited by MagnaCrea; 01-27-2013 at 03:41 AM.