ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Sky: indications

Sky: indications

"Sky: indications" is the title of a series of sky studies drawn or painted from direct observation of changing light ... Some, like this one, are done on the iPhone with AR oils ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

I always like these observations you paint, Pete. What sort of canvas are you using? And is it something you're applying after exporting from the Iphone, or in the app? I'll admit, I've only given the iPhone app a cursory look over a few times. Fascinating to me that you're using it for ambient visual observation.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

thanks, steve ... I'm using the resident Canvas Smooth on the iPhone, nothing fancy ... Some effects you see (pronounced visibility of underlying support, for example), come about because in the post-work I am constantly cropping and resizing, as if I were framing the image, something I was used to doing with physical paintings, old habits die hard ... This Sky was done on the iPhone 4, that accounts for the quad shape, the iPhone 5 encourages landscape (horizontal) views ... The idea is to put down a quick impression, usually with a view to incorporating into larger-format paintings, which I somehow never get around to painting ...

ps: the iPad doesn't work for this technique because you need two hands, or at least I do, to hold the thing, and the lag time in AR, plus the organization of the UI, turn quick into slow ... so I use AR on the iPad for more considered paintings, and there, AR is first in class ...
    Last edited by chinapete; 01-23-2013 at 04:01 AM.
    Artrage Gallery

Pete, this has great colours and texture to it

thanks, jean, but nothing like the variety you achieved in "under the sea"
    Artrage Gallery

CP- this is a subtle color field study... and I really appreciate your elaboration on your use and technique of iphone and ipad...

Really intriguing .....

thanks gary, copespeak ... sorry to be peppering you guys with iphone paintings, my hand is still on the mend but I'm able to hold the phone and paint with an index finger ...

... just to round off the discussion of method, on the iphone you get like ten slots to prefill with colors ... I've mapped these to the basic (mostly earth) colors in the Grumbacher Pre-tested oils series (matching by RGB value), and I don't deviate much from that palette, because I don't like to go through the pain of recreating a color ... So the background for this Sky is a merged overlay of 40% Viridian and about the same percent opacity of Indian Red ... this yields a neutral grey green more suitable for portraits, but green has always been for me the most difficult color to see in the sky, so I start there ...
    Artrage Gallery

And then you're smoothing the strokes out with a blender of some sort? Things always seem so "chunky" for me on the iPhone, using AR. I just sort of let it go. These color studies seem like a good application of the device though-- it's on you, it's quick and easy to use, it's not really capable of detail, etc....
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

steve, no, no blender, does it look that way? ... I was hoping to create the effect of "fat over lean" painting, but if it looks as though I'm using a blender then I'm not there yet ... some of the blurriness could be a result of zooming in, though ...

ps: just so you don't think I'm some sort of intrepid outdoorsy type, except for the museum and the Chinese Garden paintings, all are views that can be seen through the windows
    edit: adding emoticons, I keep forgetting to use them
    Last edited by chinapete; 01-23-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: adding emoticons
    Artrage Gallery