ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Interior with Moon

Interior with Moon

iPhone, oils on canvas ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 01-20-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

chinapete,
    The dappled shades of soft color and diffused light lend extremely
    well to the ethereal quality of this lunar appearance. Just love
    this ... it's dream spun!
    Mairzie Dotes

thanks, Mairzie, "dappled" is one of my favorite words, so thank you for that too ...
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

I agree. . . very dreamlike.

Also very pointillist which has usually for me been less dreamlike and more like a formulaic mental process. I think it's both the dappled colors and the primitive shapes that really remind me of some of the late 19th century painters of that genre. Yet your colors are less raw, with more of a sienna seepage into it, the end effect still seems suggested.

By it holding some of the older feel of a filmy patina from the centuries when the world was lit by flame, you've created another dimension to it, and that may be because you probably didn't aim at pointillism (or did you), but the effect showed up sidelong pursuing your usual method. It's a rather interesting and unique combination.

Nice painting!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

The moon is a giant dot :-) you're right, I wasn't going for pointillism, what you see is a side effect of applying oil paint without paint strokes on the iPhone (it's very hard to achieve this sort of effect on the iPad or AR Pro, and ArtRage is one of the few programs that allows a tapping motion, another reason I gravitate to AR for oils)... but it takes forever to paint anything this way...

Pointillism is too cold and abstract for me, it's a theory more than a practice ... I guess van Gogh was some kind of pointillist, he put thick blobs of color side by side, the red of his beard and the green of the background clashing didn't seem to bother him ... but he has actual brush strokes, not just dots of paint ...

The dreaminess comes from Yeats, these lines:

"the silver apples of the moon / the golden apples of the sun"

cp - the effects and subject matter you present are always interesting and personal, love the colors and shimmering dreamlike quality to the inner still life.. amazing what you get out of painting on an iphone!.