ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Traditional digital art painting?

Traditional digital art painting?

Hi all,

In conversing with some people I heard the term 'traditional digital art painting' being thrown around. I was explained that it was without filters? and a whole bunch of other stuff....

well what does a traditional digital art painting look like compared to a digital art painting? what are filters for? Same thing as layers? Im still learning all the terms and what each button does with AR.

TIA!

To my mind, Traditional Digital Painting would be emulating the painting process on screen, as an artist would paint on paper or canvas.

Filters are used to change your original computerised image with a pre-determined effect. For example, in Photoshop, you can choose Blur, Distort, Noise, etc, and artistic styles like Watercolour, Dry Brush and lots more. No artistic skill is required by the operator to get these effects. They can even be used to change a photo to look like a painting, though it is obvious if you look hard as there is nothing 'random' about it, which you always get with the human touch.

Layers are just a way of adding more to your work without interrupting what you have already done.

Hope that helps!

Oh Robyn, thank you so much. It has helped me tremendously to understand it.

Thank you for providing the example.

Pleasure!

As the person you talked to stated 'traditional' being no filters etc, I suspect they were referring specifically to painting in Photoshop back when it was version 2.1 to 3.0 (windows was 3.11 at this time to give you an idea of when).

Back in those days a lot of the stuff that is a touch of a button today used to be much harder to achieve. Effects like glass, bevel, emboss etc that are nowdays a simple filter choice we used to have to do with many tricks in 'channels'.

To give you an idea of how much more difficult digital art was back then i've managed to track down some oldschool tutorials (from DocOzone) of how we used to achieve some of those filter effects that just live in the photoshop 'filter' or layer effects menus today.

http://www.handson.nu/

A lot of the ways you had to achieve things seemed a lot closer to the programming and math underlying the application back then, which was good for learning how the program 'thinks' but not very intuitive for artists. These days artists can enjoy tools that more closely mirror actual art tools so I really don't think you need be concerned.
    Last edited by Juz; 02-20-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Traditional digital painting with ArtRage, Photoshop or whatsoever means to me to start a digital painting from scratch, mixing your own colors, building a painting layer by layer, with or without the help of a photo reference image or by eye-observing.

Digital painting means to me to paint directly on the photo, in ArtRage with the automatic color picker activated, or with the wet finger/brush in Photoshop or other painting programs.